Sky Tv Box Warranty

Now denz,

twice in the last two days I've had a strange phone call from someone claiming to be from Sky TV telling me that the warranty on my Sky + box has expired, that it is £60 for the year to renew, they have our surname and address, and are asking for immediate payment or we could incur callout charges of up to £120 should the box go funky.

so, the first time i said, "aye fair enough, can u just add it onto the monthly bill then please mate" to which he replied "no sir, it has to be a credit or debit card payment", i asked "why", he just said "its a different payment sir, do u want to pay by credit or debit card".

now, at this point i got rather suspicious. Name and address he can get from the phone book, having a sky + box, well, im sure theres all sorts of ways to know that, but it was the insistance that i pay there and then by card that threw me off. and he wasnt too amused when i told him nah i'd rather risk it cheers mate if u cant add it onto my bill.

thinking back now, i wish i'd asked him what my account number was, that would have thrown the prick, but ye, same call twice in two days from some foreign guy (normally i get a scottish person when i ring sky, and I've never had them ring me before).

i just find this rather suspect tbh, esp the part about not being able to add the charge onto my existing account, that must be bollox or how could they charge for changes to accounts!!! both times they were demanding immediate payment, fuck giving my card details down a phone to some prick who i cant prove is from sky!

so, does anyone work for a Sky call centre or has anyone had a similar call???

Phil.

i did recieve a letter from SKY saying my warranty had expired on the SKY + box, so thought nothing of it, 2 weeks later i get a call asking if i would like to renew my warranty, i asked how much it was and they said they would send me the invoice, came to £24.99 for 2 years.

I phoned them up to pay over the phone, and all went well.

a month later on another forum though, they have said there is scams regarding warrenties on sky boxes, TV's and other electrical goods.

i was lucky as mine was genuine :(

If i were you Phil id ask them to invoice it to you, then pay over the phone once you have recieved the invoice.

, seems very dodgey

Guest cheshireglanza

ya i have heard bout this loads off peole have been ripped off by it pay the guy over the phone the sky will send letter few months down the line asking to renew your insurance when you think you have already done it

I had someone call trying to do the same. I said to them i'd just cancel my sky package if the box breaks out of warrantee as i'm not paying a monthly contract for nothing. I'm sure if you say that to them at the time, they'd probably repair it for nothing.

Sounds a bit strange. I have had a paypal pop up when I have been on eBay before asking to conferm my details. It looked legit but it asked for my pin number. I also looked and tyne address bar and it wasn't green and/or had a padlock at the start so I new it was fake. There is so much shit about you needto check everything these days.