Long story short, have had a small leak in the radiator for a bit or so now. car was losing a small bit of cooolant and had to top it up a little bit every few days. temperature is staying Normal. drove home tonight and its very cold outside, temperature was fine, then all of a sudden it was rising very fast, then it went off the scale. stopped for a few minutes and it went back down, drove for about 40secs and then it did the same, finally got home after 2 stops and checked the engine again. didnt seem too hot, radiator wasnt steaming etc, the only thing i noticed was a weird almost rattley noise, but the engine was the same as it always was, and it wasnt doing it all the time.

Is the thermostat knakered? or the waterpump?

^_^

Thanks guys

Its not that loud, im told not to drive it which is common sense really!

yeah i would defo say not to drive it bud. if you took the rad cap off could you see if the water is still flowing. if so you shouldn't have done any damage to the engine.

Its not that easy sometimes, how long did you drive on a frubarb engine till you rebuilt it? ^

Pull it off the road and get it done buddy, throw a new thermostat on and some yummy hoses while your there = bosh!

Right, found out the problem was a blockage somewhere in the rad, and it was bone dry so thats why it overheated! the slight vibration, rattle was because it got that hot, thank god i only drove it for a short amount of time! went to the scrappys today and got a new lookign radiator for 25quid, so will get that on tomorow. once we filled the rad to the brim the car ran fine, and has been on a drive and its okay.

Just going to take it steady, as i dont think its done any damage!