ecu learn mode?

ive read about putting the ecu back into learn mode.

would this be benificial to do, ie with fitting the new mani and using higher octane fuel. would it make the car run better and make the most of the mods i have in place.

im not too sure about this so any info for or against doing this and how it would be done would be helpful.

thanks in advance.

keirz.

ive read about putting the ecu back into learn mode.

would this be benificial to do, ie with fitting the new mani and using higher octane fuel. would it make the car run better and make the most of the mods i have in place.

im not too sure about this so any info for or against doing this and how it would be done would be helpful.

thanks in advance.

keirz.

To reset you ecu as you are describing you need to disconnect your battery.

But can't remember how long you leave it for??? I think its 10minutes?

• 3 months later...

still havnt done this yet....

any new info about?

also if the battery is disconected for that long will it affect the immobilizer? (dont know why i think this)

Considering doing this myself, to see if it makes any difference/improvement over the problems I'm having with the manifold.

So I just disconnect the battery and leave it for half an hour or so, then hook it back up?

i think so. i read somewhere that the ecu learns about the new setup/driver and adapts to that. i dont know if it will detect an increase in air flow and up the fuelling but this is what im trying to acheive.

i really dont know if it will do anything!!

that was my feeling mate.

i just dont know if it will cause any problems with other electronics. i know i will lose all my sterio settings!!!! but never mind. as soon as someone comes on and says it will not mess up immobilizer i will disconnect mine.

It shouldn't mess up the immobiliser surely though, as have to change the battery when it goes flat though?

I don't have to worry about the stereo settings as have the original casette/tape player in mine :lol:

by the way, on the subject of the battery, how much does a decent new one cost?

(have the original battery in mine still so am a bit wary having an 8 year old battery in my car :))

Learn mode?

I thought the ECU was a glorified look-up-table

I checked on wikipedia and from what I've read the ECU is just a type of look-up-table. However as with most look-up-tables there is a facility for values to change. How and why the ECU decides to change them I don't know.

However judging by this article on scoobypedia you can fool the ECU to adjust itself to the highest fueling/ignition level (supposedly works on scoobies, so could well work on any other modern car).

Would be interesting to see if someone with a glanza or GT could try this, as I'd say any differences would be more noticible on a turbo'd car than an N/A one.

Let us know if you try it...

by the way, does anyone know if the standard Toyota Starlet casette/radio is coded?

(as in after disconnecting the battery you need to enter a code to make it work again)

Just checking as don't want to lose the use of my music :lol:

Cheers

I remember when I first had mine (tape player) that it suddenly started asking for a code on my old toyota. Check your owners manual for a code just in case, then you'll know. It may not have any affect at all.

J o z

untitled.jpg

Right, unplugged the EFI fuse for bout 15 minutes just now, but speed limit at work is 20mph so couldn't see for any improvements.

Didn't notice any reduction in the high idling though....will check hoses later.

Well, apparently there's a bit that doesn't line up properly between the mani and throttle body, so air is escaping at that point :lol:

Is weird how no-one else has had this problem.....

My mechanic said that to resolve it he's have to fabricate a plate to go between the throttle body and mani.

Am so confuzzled.......

Just had a look/feel for the hole the mechanic spoke about when he fitted the manifold.

;) :lol: !!!!

Is big, bout half an inch where the air is escaping from, thus causing the high idling and so on.

Don't have a clue why this happened to me and no-one else though.......?

Any solutions?

(can't get a pic as is underneath where the throttle body joins the manifold)

Seems the throttle body's hole is bigger than that of the mani, bugger

Anyone? :)