MOT Updates 2011!

HID lights â?? Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenonâ??s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.

Chipped ECUâ??s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECUâ??s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).

Wiring harness â?? The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.

Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.

But what about cars like the previous shape Renault Laguna and Nissan Qasqhai? They both have reflector lamps and come with factory xenons..

What you're saying can be the case for some refractor headlamps but it's not true for all reflector lamps

Aparently with HID's they will have a special colour chart which can tell HID's to factory xenons?

u can buy different HID's which portray a more blue colour i.e. 5000k etc. they wouldnt b able 2 use a colour chart as ive seen factory lights bluer than aftermarket ones.

again as for chipped ecus i think its bull,,,they dont care if the cars 100 or 1000 bhp as long as its insured.

Aparently with HID's they will have a special colour chart which can tell HID's to factory xenons?

Different Manufacturers have different ranges of colour temperatures for xenons. Audi's for example tend to look 5-6000k whereas some BMWs/Lexus are more 6-8000k

thats just bull... :/

and stop complaining about getting blinded... if you get blinded then there ether pointing too high (alignment problem) or your just being a girl... factory hid's and normal lights can be blinding alot of the time too, or when people leave there main beam on....

even if they did bring it in as a rule id take mine out, put normal bulbs in and change it straight back :/ they give a much brighter.whiter/clearer view of the row ahead, im all for better visibility...

My HID are pointed into the ground, I can only see about 10 metres in front of me with my HIDs without high beam. (better then blinding people) i get really pissed of with cocks that don't align them.

I have HIDS and they will be staying in for the MOT ill believe there failures when it gets failed. I really dont see how they can be failures when most kits are fully emarked and arent much brighter than standard Xenons?

Other stuff is bollocks too, i can just imagine a MOT tester getting some equipment out to check if the car has a chipped ECU or not. Who really cares? Its not doing any harm to anyone is it. For fucks sake.

VOSA are just tryna make people get public transport everywhere :)

im pretty sure if this does happen, it will only apply to new vehicles, im currently in the process of getting into mot testing, and none of that has been in the tests or anything,

ive heard thou that they want to ban any sort of after market modifications on new cars?