Undersealing fresh import + few questions

First of all I'd like to say hi to everyone as i'm new here, I dont actually have a Glanza yet but am hoping to get one shortly.

First of all I am looking at fresh imports so would people recommend undersealing them as I understand these cars designed for the JDM market are not given any underseal from factory? What would be the best product to use for this and is there a certain way to do it? Especially as its winter I wouldnt want to trap any moisture in or do anything to cause the car to rust. :thumbsup:

Secondly one of the first things I will be doing along with a service and timing belt change is getting a decent alarm and immobiliser fitted. What alarm would people recommend, and is it possible to wire it in such a way that it can be armed when you leave the car whilst it is running on the turbo timer?

Thanks ;)

When i bought mine the importer had undersealed it so not sure on product used but its defo worth while as its been through 2 uk winters and still as good as fresh import :thumbsup:

I was told cambelt and waterpump was done when i bout it but did it again for piece of mind

Better safe then sorry IMPO

welcome along

and as said first mod I did was cam belt/guide/tentioner bearings service inc all aux belts leads/plugs FUEL filter and brake fluid even though I had receipt saying it had been done I dont trust anyone to do stuff like that other than my bro but then again I've also serviced my v 4 times in 12month 8000mile

Thanks for the welcome people :thumbsup:

Yeh i do plan to get the cambelt done...wud those other things you mention be best done at the same time? I'm not sure where to get it done though lol.

And i know what you mean mate, when they are so clean underneath you don't wanna...people say if not done right it can trap moisture and rust can grow hidden by the underseal, this isn't what I want to be doing :s

Cheers

have you found the glanza you want buddy?

if your after a fresh import send enzo a pm and he may be able to sort you out

as for the alarm i had a cat 1 fitted a few weeks ago went for a viper 480xv

also had my glanza undersealed when imported

mines up for sale if your after one thats had everything done to it

It might be nice underneath now, but it wont after a while when its rusted and nasty. Get it undersealed just for peace of mind when you start hittin the unavoidable puddles n stuff. You wont be looking at the underneath of your car very often anyway unless you make a habit of rolling it into ditches n stuff lol. Which I hope you dont by the way :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site ;)

for the alarm depends what you kind your after you can get a cat 2 which could be wired to turn off with your turbo timer on but for a cat 1 the way the immobiliser has to work wouldnt allow it to work with the car on

thats what i was informed when i had my alarm fitted

Ollie, I have found one I'm pretty certain on, it is almost standard which is what I wanted so I could make it mine and also ensure it is treated how I want from the moment its in the country...the only downside to this is its still even got wheel trims its that standard..only mods being blitz exhaust, turbo timer, trd kit and wind deflectors so will need quite a bit spending to get it how i want it :thumbsup:

BearFace....No I don't make a habit of that ;) And yeh I agree...its just im a bit oncfused on how to do it right and if its advisable to do it in winter? :/

About the alarms...damn thats a bit crap...the car already has an auto turbo timer you see so would be a shame to rip that out...tbh if it can be done im not too bothere about it invalidating the cat 1 certificate for insurance purposes as I have already got an acceptable quote with just an immobiliser...so I'm just wanting the security of a cat 1 but wud be nice to not have to wait by the car till the timer has run down if that makes sense?

Apologies if I'm being awkward and thanks again :)

Ollie, I have found one I'm pretty certain on, it is almost standard which is what I wanted so I could make it mine and also ensure it is treated how I want from the moment its in the country...the only downside to this is its still even got wheel trims its that standard..only mods being blitz exhaust, turbo timer, trd kit and wind deflectors so will need quite a bit spending to get it how i want it :thumbsup:

BearFace....No I don't make a habit of that ;) And yeh I agree...its just im a bit oncfused on how to do it right and if its advisable to do it in winter? :/

About the alarms...damn thats a bit crap...the car already has an auto turbo timer you see so would be a shame to rip that out...tbh if it can be done im not too bothere about it invalidating the cat 1 certificate for insurance purposes as I have already got an acceptable quote with just an immobiliser...so I'm just wanting the security of a cat 1 but wud be nice to not have to wait by the car till the timer has run down if that makes sense?

Apologies if I'm being awkward and thanks again :)

all got to start somewhere mate

my car was standard bar the exhaust and turbo timer when i got it

if you get someone to import the car most companies will underseal it for you if not a local bodyshop will do it for pretty cheap anyway

Yeh thats tru mate, its weird gonna be weird going from my car which is pretty modded to something almost standard :)

As for the underseal, I did ask the girlfriends dad who owns a garage and bodyshop but he didnt seem too keen on doing it, I did then ask how but he said he hasn't done it in ages its usually for older classic cars...I will probably do it myself its just one thing nobody seems to tell you the same story about...some say it can trap moisture, others say it expels moisture :/

Thats one of my problems, I'm not friendly with any garages that can do cambelts or does undersealing...and I tend not to trust others with my car as nobody is gonna treat it as well as you do if its your pride and joy :p

As for the alarm, thats true, a minute isnt a long wait thinking about it, i'm guessing when getting petrol I should just lock the car with the keys?

Okay so i've had a thought...would this be an okay idea?

I was thinkin firstly get the car in the workshop and in the air, wheels off....then clean the underside with a steam cleaner or just thoroughly. Then dry the car off with a cloth and leave for a day....then if i put a space heater in to warm up the car and workshop as with it being winter its gonna have some moisture in the air(should this get rid of any moisture) then begine to underseal the car and leave there for an hour or two with the heater on then leave to dry for a day?

Also does anyone know the bes product to use?

Finally would people recommend undersealing the visible arch lips(the bits you get rolled) or just the inside of the arches, and would this include the underside of these arch lips?

Thankyou