CT9 Hybrid Turbo Help!

Hello all,

Im still new to the starlet scene, and the turbo scene so youll have to excuse my lack of knowledge.

Im wanting to get my starlet to around 190-200bhp.

My starlet currently has a FMIC, HKS dumpvalve, boost gauge, Exhaust (Not De-cat but will be) and Air filter relocated to front of engine.

Now my question is to get a CT9 hybrid turbo running on my car and to achieve this power what else would i need.

From my understanding including the mods i have i would need the following.

1. Uprated Manifold

2. Some sort of after market actuator (HKS) (Assume this would need to be set to 1 bar???)

3. Hybrid CT9 turbo itself

4. Plug and Play after market ECU like Jam or Blitz. (Required ro remove fuel cut properly)

Any information on this would be great help

Cheers cool ill add that to my list, might but few extra things aswell like uprated cam cover and over gaskets. Just wanted to make sure before i start buying things :thumbsup:

Dont spose you know how the starlet standard brakes will handle this sort of power and do you think running this sort of set up should be reliable ish day today.

I know there capable of a lot more, from what ive been reading sounds quite reliable just wanting to make sure again

cheers

Guest cheshireglanza

standard breaks can handle 200bhp but grooved and drill fron disc's can be picked up from £60 to £150 braided break lines,yellow stuff pads

im running 1bar on standard breaks at min,im having no trouble so far with the engine runs sweet just keep on top off getting it serviced mine does 88 miles aday work and back hope that helps

Nice one youve been realy helpful..

Just one last question i promise ha the parts ive mentioned are they all pretty much bolt on and go. you think ill need any fabrication for turbo to fit?

Other then that think im good to go thanks for all your help

Could use a emage ecu alot cheaper thana blitz 1 bud

I'd disagree with this, if you find a blitz ecu it maps itself which means that everytime you change something it will map it.

If you go for an emanage or something similar you will have to pay for it to be mapped everytime.

^^^ sorry mate i'd disagree with you far better to get an engine management system mapped for your mods than a plug and play ecu as you will get far more out of it being mapped personally for your setup and it safer on your engine.

^^^ sorry mate i'd disagree with you far better to get an engine management system mapped for your mods than a plug and play ecu as you will get far more out of it being mapped personally for your setup and it safer on your engine.

Sorry buddy but i have to disagree with you lol...If you are running stock ct9 orr hybrid ct9 @1bar a plug & play ECU will make the same power as a stand alone ECU...Its only when you start going past the 200bhp mark is when a stand alone ECU is worth getting anythink under that then a plug and paly ECU is well worth getting as Mark said above its save getting it mapped everytime you put something new on your car...

I was useing a Apexi power fc ecu befor i started useing the blitz ecu and there is no diffrence in power what so ever the only diffrence is the rev limit the apexi reved out @ 7.500rpm and the blitz ecu revs up to 8.000 not that theres any point in takeing it that hi but still there is no diffrence lol.

Same again blitz ECU the better option as once you've found an aftermaket ECU paid for all the loom/harnesses fitting (as there not plug and play) mapping if you can find a good one (around £180) you may as well have just bought a plug and play unit plus the aftermarket ECU never keep there value were as the plug and play seem to hold there value really well don't seem drop at all. And when put up for sale, sell within 48hours. I've seen emanage ecu's not sell for months.

Sorry buddy but i have to disagree with you lol...If you are running stock ct9 orr hybrid ct9 @1bar a plug & play ECU will make the same power as a stand alone ECU...Its only when you start going past the 200bhp mark is when a stand alone ECU is worth getting anythink under that then a plug and paly ECU is well worth getting as Mark said above its save getting it mapped everytime you put something new on your car...

I was useing a Apexi power fc ecu befor i started useing the blitz ecu and there is no diffrence in power what so ever the only diffrence is the rev limit the apexi reved out @ 7.500rpm and the blitz ecu revs up to 8.000 not that theres any point in takeing it that hi but still there is no diffrence lol.

What Micky boy says,

I got 186hp 1bar on a tongs hybrid fpr/fcd until i got a JAM ecu pnp, got to the rollers and i made 189hp matching torque. I then upped it to 1.1-1.2bar and it made 209hp 210torque :thumbsup:

As its clear, its a subjective topic - the lack of hassle of the plug and play ECUs will appeal to some, the ability to tailor a map to your specific setup with a mappable ECU will appeal to others, it would come down to the individual rather than trying to convince who is more right.

Basically if you have very deep pockets then go for a stand alone ECU but if your like me and have flys comeing out for you wallet then go for a plug & play ECU it will still get you to that 200bhp mark :thumbsup: ....

Another issue is, everyone is quick to deride these plug and play ECUs for having a "Fixed" Map. If manufacturers manage to map them in the first place, all you'd have to do is find someone that has the ability to re-map these. Certainly the stock ECU probably wouldn't have some of the features or the depth of resolution of some of the diverse options out there, but that is not to say they should be condemned. My contact has the ability to re-map the Stock ECU for example, though I doubt it would be cheap. I think SARD still offer the ability to re-map their ECUs as they still sell them new, as would KS-ROM I would presume.

Don't think as well that these P'n'P ECUs were exclusively reserved for CT9 and Hybrid-based setups :thumbsup:

I was useing a Apexi power fc ecu reved out @ 7.500rpm and the blitz ecu revs up to 8.000

but with the apexi on the map i believe you can change that cant you... so it rev's higher or lower?

but with the apexi on the map i believe you can change that cant you... so it rev's higher or lower?

Yeah you can change it but 7500rpm is its max.. to be honest you should be changing gear well befor 7000 anyway, my point is that a plug & play ECU is abit more friendly on the poket lol

stand alone's are far superior fact... but seem to go to waste on these small cars as tbh there isnt much point unless you want to push well over 200bhp.

if you can find a plug and play then grab it as it will most likely last you past whatever you want to do... if you change your mid then they still sell for silly money with no market loss on them :p

also they dont 'Map' them selves, man that bugs me :thumbsup:. They slightly adjust the fueling/timing to compensate for greater/lesser air flow caused from the mods... something all ecu's do every second you drive

I still think people greatly over look the potential of the stock ecu... power isnt all about upping the boost or getting bigger turbo :D

agree with the first part of your statement, but i meant if going for more than a hybrid can handle then a piggyback or standalone is superior and most importantly safer as your getting a better map to the mods on your car, so if you aint pushing serious power then p&p have there uses BUT i'm seeing these plug and play ecu's going for stupid prices when you can buy an emanage for less get it mapped and not paid much more than you would have for a p&p ecu.

and as for getting more mods buy them just don't fit your mods till you have whats required for the power you hope to achieve, was what i done and that way you only need to get it mapped once tbh there's doing things on a budget which i love that, but if this guy goes the p&p route and decides down the line i want more power then you know he's gonna have to go piggyback or standalone anyway and spend that money again.

so at the end of the day its how much he's willing to put into the build just a hybrid and usual upgrades and when the need for more power comes sells up and moves on then the p&p route is probs the shout for him but if he's the type to want to squeeze more out of the engine then the piggyback / standalone is best :thumbsup:

ok not sure if im confused or enlightend ha

To be honest 190-200 bhp is as far as i want to ever take this car i think.

to be honest this should be ample power for what im looking for in a car at the moment.

to be honest i dont want to go any higher then this or want to start rebuilding my engine with different enternals, so based on this and from what ive read from you guys sounds as if the plug and play systems are more sutied to me.

Does sound like the stand alones are a better bit of kit if you want top take it to that next level though.

Is there any where you can find these plug and plays new as they seem to sell so quick on the forums

cheers for the info guys im sure this will help lot more people reading then just me