i thought i knew but now unsure

do quadlights need cats. yes there import so on that mot tester sheet where it says can u find it in the database its a no. but then says perform basic cat test which is hard to pass without a cat. just wondered how td04 people etc pass? cheers

It all goes by what VOSA believe to be the first registration date of the vehicle. If the Date of First Registration listed on your V5 document is before 1st January (I think), 1995, then it doesn't require a CAT, as it's only eligible for the idle emmisions test at MOT. Any date afterwards will mean that the car has to have the higher revs emissions test, and therefore will most likely fail without a cat.

I may be wrong with some of the specifics like dates, so feel free to correct me anyone! As far as I know, that is the general gist of what it all means.

motcat.gif

according to this its july 95 onwards that need a cat so i'm ok but just wondered how people who were running td04 glanzas n bigger get mot'd without swapping back to ct9 or having a dodgy test.

to be honest most glanzas go through without cats

i dont want to get into all this again but because all starlets are imports and have no UK equivalent to match to on the vosa database neither gt's or glanzas have to pass the emmisions test that most UK cars have to go to

but pre 95 starlets have more relaxed emmisions requirements to stick to

The table tells it all really.

Yes some garage don't seem to know the rules and test things wrongly. Although I don't really understand how, it's not hard to understand and how they are allowed to do mot tests if they can't follow the guide set out by the mot standards folks is beyond me.

From 1996 onwards you need a cat

Im pretty sure that applies to UK spec cars.

With Imports like the GT's there are NO UK equivalents, for example you can get UK spec Impreza's etc so they will be on the database, its not the case with GT's and Glanza's.

Therefore if they arent on the database then there is no data of what emissions the car should be producing so it just needs a basic idle test which should be a piece of piss unless your running stupidly rich.

Thats what I am lead to believe anyway.

Oh and who gives a shit about emissions, aslong as the car is safe then fuck it, take it to someone you know :thumbsup:

The table covers whether or not there is a uk equivalent. And if there are not, which is the case with the starlets turbos, anything before 31 July 1995 non cat test, anything after cat test.

I do agree really about who cares about emissions, but it shouldn't have to be a hassle to find a garage that can test a car PROPERLY according to the rules. (when you have an 82 before 31 July 1995 so should go through on the non cat test yet they keep insisting it needs a cat)