EP82 Tuning for dummies

hi all

i'd like to get the power up on my ep82 to around 160+ and i've got around a grand to play with. i've looked around on the site but still am not sure what to do exactly...

firstly, i've heard that the starlet comes with a washer in the manifold and around the fuel filter which can be removed for more power - is this true?

also i am thinking of getting a manifold (if i cant derestrict the standard one) & full straight-thru exhaust from the turbo back, followed by a remap (or custom ecu or piggyback chip), but would i be better off with any of the following:

fast-road cams

boost controller

uprated actuator

hks fuel cut defencer

uprated fuel pump

uprated fuel rail

uprated injectors

uprated spark plugs

cheers

is your car totaly standard yea?

stage one mods would get you close to that figure,

they would consist of a custom exhaust

new axhaust manifold as the standarc one is very restrictive and a

hks actuater set to just before fual cut at about 12 psi( a safe guard within the ecu thats really anoying)

check the heavy restriction in manifold number 3

fucku0-p029.jpg

iliminating this will give you a nice dolop of power

with these mods you should be hitting close to if not 160bhp., will be enuf power to keep you bangin.

if you ad an emanage to the mix after that your looking at 180 +

hope that was of some help mate

is your car totaly standard yea?

stage one mods would get you close to that figure,

they would consist of a custom exhaust

new axhaust manifold as the standarc one is very restrictive and a

hks actuater set to just before fual cut at about 12 psi( a safe guard within the ecu thats really anoying)

check the heavy restriction in manifold number 3

iliminating this will give you a nice dolop of power

with these mods you should be hitting close to if not 160bhp., will be enuf power to keep you bangin.

if you ad an emanage to the mix after that your looking at 180 +

hope that was of some help mate

cheers mate

cars standard except for a hks mushroom airfilter, a blitz BOV and a blitz turbo timer - although i think it's been derestricted because i did this:

star127s.jpg

even though it should be limited to 112mph?

and dave is selling these manifolds on ebay - do you think i should get that?

ive just had a look on the fensport site and there is a 'Uprated Actuator - complete kit' for £75+vat - that a reasonable price?

they also have a HKS Fuel Cut Defencer for £95 - should i get that so I can turn the boost higher, or just wait until i can afford a remap/custom ecu?

lastly, what is a 'emanage' exactly?

sorry for my lack of knowledge and cheers for the help

my own personal preference would be to get a miled steel manifold from the likes of road runner,

the problem with stainless maniolds is they can and do crack, with milled it might not look as nice but they wont crack

the uprated actuater is right on the money there, thats what they go for,

the hks fcd is a no no to me, i think its mega crude and fual cut is there for a reason, 12 psi is a nice big leap from the standard ten,

to do this you will need a boost gauge to monitor then its just a case of turning the actuater up to that point

am i making sense,

and e-mnanage or full name greddy emanage is a fual computer,

it elminates fual cut and supplies more fual to the engine,

the emanage blue is about £300 and does everything you could ever want. that hard part is tuning it, some people want silly money

im lucky in the fact that up here there is a guy that only charges 100 notes for fitting and mapping on the move which reprisents a god send

hopefullly that was of some use

any questions just ask

Theres no point making your car faster if it's standard,sort the handling and stopping first! Then sort the fueling,exhaust,manifold,actuator for more power and turn up the boost to a sensible level as enzo has said. If you just go straight for power you'll be in the ditch pretty quickly or have a nicely toasted set of piston rings causing mucho smoke! :p

Does your car travel in mph or kph? if it's still reading kph then it's not derestricted.Do you have the converter fitted?

mods I'd say...

Blitz/Apex-i filter

Blitz decat and nur spec exhaust

AVC-R or similar to up the boost and future proof you for further boost mods.

Then I'd go front mount cooler, bigger injectors, fuel pump (from a supra) and power FC.

Then I'd fit lightweight flywheel and if it's for track use an lsd at the same time (as a trd clutch)

Finishing with some mild hks cams and maybe a turbo :p

Then when it blows, rebuild the engine. lol

Theres no point making your car faster if it's standard,sort the handling and stopping first! Then sort the fueling,exhaust,manifold,actuator for more power and turn up the boost to a sensible level as enzo has said. If you just go straight for power you'll be in the ditch pretty quickly or have a nicely toasted set of piston rings causing mucho smoke! :p

Does your car travel in mph or kph? if it's still reading kph then it's not derestricted.Do you have the converter fitted?

the handling is pretty good - its on a set of KYB coilovers, and i've ordered EBC discs and pads to make it stop.

It was converted to MPH when it was imported into the country a couple of months ago.

blitz ecu.

boost controller.

1bar.

job done.

:p hehehe

also, killer deja-vu right there.... :/

Where can I get a blitz ecu? (i cant find any on the blitz website)

problem with these plug and play ecus's is that you canot tel what they are mapped for by th previous owner, plus they ususaly cost about 500 ggs

blitz, mines, jam and a few otheres are all the same,

very desirable

another cheaper fual computer which does the job ok is the safc,

that along with an uprated fual pump will also do the job for tuning

There are a few Blitz Access ECU on the Yahoo auctions in Japan...I can help you get one no problem BUT, I wouldn't. Personally, I think it's just an uprgade to remove fuel cut etc and up the boost a bit, can't be tuned (certainly not on the MR2 anyway). I'd go for a Power FC which is around 550 quid or use the E-Manage or something like that, alteast then you can adjust the fueling to a certain degree to allow for future mods

You beat me to it Enzo!

Blitz is cheaper than that though...but I still wouldn't bother...false economy.

lol sound,

happy birthday for the otherday ye old codger,

must suck havin your birthday soo close to the crimbo season-less prezzys n all that or do you still get prezzys bein so ancient haha

I'd forgotten how old I was when someone asked me..and I'm sure I've shrunk. My wife says I'm going grey too (that's her fault...women)

When you get older presents get more expensive, until about 50 then you get socks. This year santa brought me an arcade cabinet and street fighter 2 rainbow (none of this wii bollocks) then my mate for my birthday bought me the Neo Geo MVS slot for it and King of the Fighters 98 :p

Keepin it oldskool.

them ecu's are fine when you know what they're mapped for, and with something simple like a basic rrfpr or old school apexi afc (£30 at most) you can pump up the fuelling to run even a large turbo setup (say, k24/k26/td04 etc).

it just depends how much you get it all for in the first place really. they're awesome for what they are, considering what little you have to do (i.e plug and play).

power fc's are obv the way forward, hence why i now have one, although, as they're discontinued, they're gonna start going silly prices, the last ep82 one i saw sell on the auctions went for STUPID money. its the same as the ep91 model, but with the ep82 they use a harness, to enable the unit to fit (but the unit itself is identical to the ep91 model).

Power FCs used from Japan are about 550 quid at present...which is good for what you get to do :p But as Ecksjay said, same with the MR2 Power FC, which is also discontinued, the prices will rise. The EP82 Power FC is modified by AP Engineering and is actually for the MR2 with the conversion harness.

I think though that the fueling control for the injectors is modified so 4 goes into 2, meaning you can't control the injector duty etc for each cylinder, just 2 at a time.

There's a Blitz on there now Si :p

ep91 and 82 are both modified MR2 ecu's by A.P Engineering mate, hence why as the MR2 model is discontinued, so is the ep82/91 models.

ye the one that went for silly money was a scuffed/scratched/damaged ep82 model, with the conversion harness. mine arrived yesterday apparently but i've yet to claim it from a neighbour, need to source a commander too but i'll do that at a later date.

You would be much better off with a closed loop system, in my opinion the PFC is a bit naff

for a big setup, yes, but it does the job perfectly for like 300bhp and below, but i agree that for big setups (say, td06 etc) you'll want smoething a little more capable. HKS F-Con Pro I've etc.

Also, nightspirit, yes i've had my eye out for one and can get one for japan for the £120 mark but i dont mind having a used/marked one as i dont mind so much, but unfortunately there dont seem to be many about.

feel free to give me yours though :p

my own personal preference would be to get a miled steel manifold from the likes of road runner,

the problem with stainless maniolds is they can and do crack, with milled it might not look as nice but they wont crack

I cant find road runner on the forum or ebay....... how can i contact him and how much should i be lookin 2 pay?