Hey guys i need some help, i've just finished running in my engine as i had rebuilt it with new piston rings, cylinder hone, bottom end bearings and new oil and water pumps, head was dismantled, valves ground, new valve stem oil seals and a skim. it's dode the 1k miles mark and thought great i can give it some stick now.

Now the car flys, pulls really hard in every gear but on rundown from high revs i touch the accelerator just slightly and there's a plume of blue smoke, foot hard down and there's no smoke.

I'll give you a scenario, start the car from cold, no smoke, let it warm up, drive it normally or even a bit hard and there's still no smoke, rev it hard (5,6,7k rpm) there's a little, change up a gear or two and wait a couple of seconds, touch the acelerator and a lovely swirl of blue smoke from the exhaust.

I changed the turbo today for an apparantly good one to see if it was the turbo but it's exactly the same, did a compression test (cold engine) and got 170psi on all 4 cylinders.

Anyone got any ideas what else it could be?

Tia,

chris.

that's what i thought mate, but for both of these turbo's to run fine then smoke on wind down seems a bit odd. shouldn't be oil seals but saying that i got 2 bags of oil seals in the gasket kit from toyota, 8 in each bag now i wonder if there's 8 specifically for the intake valves and 8 specifically for the exhaust??

Yeah true but you never know you just might have two shit turbos lol..If it was me i would go try another turbo befor you go and rip your head to bits thinking its the valve stems go for the cheapest first :( ...not sure about the 8 seals in one bag and 8 in another maybe someone elss could anwser that for you but its a good thought lol

Yeah mate, will do, been faffin about with it all day yesterday and today but wiil take it off the car in the next couple of days mate, it's still smokin so either 2 dud turbo's or something wrong with the engine.

Starting to get annoyed with it now lol

when you lift off after giving it stick there's no smoke but as soon as you touch the accelerator pedal it smokes quite bad for a couple of seconds, clears up till you do the same thing again, it's as if there's a build up of oil in the inlet mani, but there can't be as i've disconected the pcv pipe.

@rinseep82 not got a catch can, i disconected the pcv pipe, venting to atmosphere and blanked off the mani side.

using toyota green coolant, it's go my head done in, i expected a little smoke but not this much lol

Just spoke to a workmate who was driving behind me on my way into work today, he says the smoke's white! so checked the coolant and it's used a little also used about a litre and a half of oil in 500 miles too.

what you guys think?

Do one of them 'sniff' tests on it. That will tell you if the headgasket has gone. My old corsa's head gasket had gone and kept running onto 3 cylinders but when we compression tested it there was no loss of pressure in any cylinders. Sniff tested it and figured from there the head gasket had gone and low and behold when we took it apart.... Gasket failunzzzz!

Sniff test??? lol what's that? only thing i can think of is that i haven't torqued one of the head bolts down properly and it's leaking under extreme pressure.

no oil in intercooler (front mount) there is a little black gunk on the inner walls of the pipework but not enough to form a puddle or anything, nothing from the dump valve.

Car runs sweet, drives well and is feckin quick so there's no loss of power ect, i'm stumped

Sniff test??? lol what's that? only thing i can think of is that i haven't torqued one of the head bolts down properly and it's leaking under extreme pressure.

I'm not sure exactly what liquid is used. But it's kinda like a vial of liquid that you attach to your coolant resevoir and then there a lil pump on top that give a few squeezes on and it tells you if you've got fuel, oil etc in your coolant by changing colour. It's quit cool tbh :)

Ah right i know the kit you mean, block tester! i'll give it a try.

took the turbo and manifold off thought i'd have a look at the exhaust valves while i was there, should there be any oil on the valve stems? (at the top when you look in the exhaust port) the valves in cylinders 1, 2 and 4 have oily deposits on them, not much but you can see they're wet (where the seal rubs on the valve)

Havent read each post, but everything ive read sounds like your turbo mate. If your turbo seals go, it will pass both oil and water through it, hence your mate seeing the white smoke, there will be a hint of blue in it. Swap the turbo and I recon it will stop

If not, next step would be a compression test.