Engine smoking really bad

Guest cheshireglanza

Guest cheshireglanza

had my engine fitted yesterday picked it up from garage on way home temp gauge went to red hot had to drive it for 5 min to get it off motorway water pump had leaked all the water from rad,it was smoking before when i let off boost now when i pull up to lights you cant see the car with white smoke has the car over heating done the steam seals or could it be down to the turbo,the turbo was fitted to car that put conrod threw the block with lots off shaft play,on first start up dont smoke at all till you take it for drive,im hoping its the turbo has i have spent over £1000 quid to get the car running :o

i duuno then mate. my car smokes a lot as well a white smoke with a blue tint to it. my mechanic reckons its more likely to be turbo seals than anything else, but also mentioned valve stem seals. spose youi could check the turbo by taking off some intercooler piping and see if its full of shit?

gonna sound realy stupid but i bought a golf as a run round ages ago and it did this when i got it turned out prev owner had put to much oil in it like a good half inch over max blink:

drained it and it was fine after

^^ cool going change it tonight thanks to miib14

no probz mate.. helping each other out...

you get to check if your turbo knackered and i get to check if mine works fine or not :o

• 2 weeks later...

I'd deffinately do a compression test mate. If the compression is fine all round, it's not using A LOT of oil or water but smokes, I'd try the turbo... My engine has problems atm, same kinda thing really but compression in my 1st cylinder is less than half... I think it's the head gasket but could be a bent valve or cracked piston or ring... I won't know till it's in bits!

Good luck mate. Do a compression test!!

Alright mate,

Mine was smoking really bad aswell! only after i booted it loads of white an blue smoke. i changed the turbo on the week-end and now all is ok! (touch wood) i havnt had any smoke at all.

So most proberly that to be honest mate.