HEAD BOLTS!!!

as tittle says ive removed my cylinder head and looking to fit it tomorrow night and wondering do i need new head bolts or can i re-use stock ones?

if so where can i get some at a good price?

do i need to go to toyota stealer?

There is a problem with new headbolts and its a major issue, what is it, i wont say, because untill i get my thread unlocked about my project car, your going into unkown costly territory with new head bolts.

You can reuse the old bolts, pending you dont strip the inside splines.

no there is not, i have standard toyota ones put in my head and there is not a single issue, 30psi and still holding strong

do NOT re use the old ones as they stretch alot, and they fail very easy, i have done it before on another car that use stretch bolts and it didnt last very long at all....

There is a problem with new headbolts and its a major issue, what is it, i wont say, because untill i get my thread unlocked about my project car, your going into unkown costly territory with new head bolts.

You can reuse the old bolts, pending you dont strip the inside splines.

080419-ignore-him.jpg

Evidence:

headbolts.jpg

i have all old books from 1996-2005 and have checked them all just in case, plus the new all singing and dancing version on my lap top and all toyotas of around this year have not got stretch bolts. and i have measured thm against the new 1s and guess wat no stretchy stretchy.

think you have been top trumped. i can put up the 3G-S, 7AFE,4AFE,2AD-TRB and the 5EFE, and all say the same.

the only head bolts i have found from arond this eara that are stretch and this is by measuring thm are the head bolts off the 1zz-FE thy stretch bad as i found. i had a fuel leak on 1 of these engines before and it killed the engine because of the god dam stretch bolts stupid idea. i am a engine builder this is wat i do, and if im not sure i will say so, but i have built more of these engines now than i care to remember.

was just about to say i looked at the torque list yesterday and that states you dont need to replace them so im with nastyrash. but as said its probably worth it to replace them anyway or at least check them.

and i use 60nm for my last tightening torque setting rather than the very vage 90degree, this way u can always recheck after a track run and also wen head is fit go over all the bolts to make sure thy have all been run in to the same which i bet a pound to a penny your inside bolts (number 1-6 will be all around 35-45nm, this is the biggest problem with the 90degree final setting, its leaves alot of room for errors and ultimatly engine failure.

thanks for everyone help,

for a small price of £26 i got a set yesterday,

The information above is interesting as i have looked on different topics/site as found 3 different settings from 3 diffferent sources,

can someone confirm these settings are correct

1st: 22

2nd: 44

3rd: 90 Deg

thanks rob

thr is a full data list on google for the 4efte engine mate just search pdf files for the 4efte engine i do stage 1= 15nm, 2 = 22nm, 3= 44nm, 4= 60nm, thn loosen off thn 60nm, thn give it a run thn recheck thy all at 60nm. i do this because of the thickness of standard head gaskets thy massive and take alot to squash down, but if you have a multi layer gasket do not loosen off just recheck after run. also please clean out the head bolt threads before fitting head as bolts sticking on crap in the holes will give u a fulse torque reading plus file the tips off the deck dowls as u do not know how many times the head has been skimmed.

hope this helps

chris

Thanks mate for that advice

im using a stock toyota head gasket so will do what you have said,

cheers Rob

thr is a full data list on google for the 4efte engine mate just search pdf files for the 4efte engine i do stage 1= 15nm, 2 = 22nm, 3= 44nm, 4= 60nm, thn loosen off thn 60nm, thn give it a run thn recheck thy all at 60nm. i do this because of the thickness of standard head gaskets thy massive and take alot to squash down, but if you have a multi layer gasket do not loosen off just recheck after run. also please clean out the head bolt threads before fitting head as bolts sticking on crap in the holes will give u a fulse torque reading plus file the tips off the deck dowls as u do not know how many times the head has been skimmed.

hope this helps

chris

wen u place the stock head gasket on the engine deck dowls check for side to side movment, i found a after market gasket that has no movment on the dowls, it was a reniz make i think will find out for u, the stock toyota's that i have used have massive play on the dowls and can overhang the cylinder walls if not watched which will lead to a blown gasket.

and do not loosen off if you have got the multi spline head bolts as you will probly strip thm out. i normaly use the studs if i can makes for less hastle wen doing this plus better clamping force.