New Member - Rebuilt Glanza

Hey guys, been on TGTT for a couple of years since owning my old EP82 quad starlet.

Got myself an EP91 a few months ago, missed the boost after owning an EK9 for quite some time.. V-tec isnt my thing lol.

Won the Car on e-bay, a black 97' LSD sunroof model glanza. Low milage, and everything in great condition, had a few optional extra's too which I was pleased about! Just needed the seats re-doing to be fair. Was a nice genuine little car and I was chuffed to bits

My missus spotted a Husky that needed rehoming temporarily as she'd been in an abusive home, so asked me to go and pick it up, a 4 hour drive away. So off we went, got their fine :lol: Picked up the shy husky and jumped back in for the drive home, only problem being the road the home was on was an old country lane full of potholes, managed to manouvre it well, so I thought.

On the way home, 45 minutes from where I live, the engine sounded slightly tappy, I asked my missus if she could hear it and she told me to stop complaining and I'm always paranoid. 5 minutes later I pulled over, oil was half empty so, stuck on the side of the road, I left my missus in a safe spot with my 2 year old daughter and a new dog and began a long walk lol. After 30 minutes walking time I found an industrial estate, the car mechanics had just closed.

A guy that had a quad bike shop spotted me and asked what I wanted, explained the situation and he told me to hop in, he seemed ok lol.

Took me to a garage to buy some oil, then dropped me off at my car! You meet some genuine people sometimes to be fair!

Filled it up, picked up the troops and started again. 10 minutes later, it tapped, louder than ever. I pulled over again, and oil was pissing out the sump. I rang the RAC lol

an hour later the guy turned up and said he needed to move me off the motorway, I was half parked on a low kirb, and he started to drag me off. The kirb grew larger bit by bit and I could hear grinding! Mother Trucker lol. Anyway, a friend picked up my missus and my daughter but left me with our new doggy lol, the poor bugger had to ride in the glanza home on the back of a truck, what a good start to its new life lol.

Anyway, took the car to a garage, they told me they could fix it. 6 weeks later they ring saying their unsure whats wrong, so they cant fix it. So I went to collect it, and the engine popped outside their garage gates. Bastard thing lol. Drove to the garage semi ok with new oil and a new sump.

Towed it near home, and there she sat for just over 3 months, somebody even decided to be friendly and smash my passenger side mirror of for me. The love for the EP died and I was going to break it, but me and some friends set a goal, we wanted to take it to modifed live and it'd be a good deadline of 6 weeks or so to get everything sorted

Searched all the forums and found it difficult getting a 4EFTE in the condition I wanted, so sourced one from japan with 40,000 KMS on the clock. It came with everything for £650 delivered, which wasnt bad to be fair! Just hoped it worked lol.

isybdayanglanza067-1.jpg

My mate starting to undo everything, the work begins to change her engine over

isybdayanglanza063.jpg

Semi Naked now lol

isybdayanglanza064.jpg

Up in the air for gearbox and engine oil to be drained. And coolant

isybdayanglanza074.jpg

4EFTE gone! wanted to tuck all the wires away and polish the engine bay but time forced us to press on :/ I'l do it again in the future lol

isybdayanglanza079.jpg

Engine out, used an old seatbealt to yank her out, worked well!

isybdayanglanza084.jpg

Old engine, and new engine, waiting to go in.

Anyway, the engine went in great. She wouldnt start at first, we found the new engines injectors were a bit facked, so switched them for the old ones and voila, she started.

Test drove and compression tested. 165 Psi near enough bang on straight across the board.

Well, the engine wa sin and running so I decided to change the look of the old Lenso's. I was going to step down from 16" to 15" but after a chat with friends decided to keep them so I could fit 305mm discs and fiat coupe brembos at a later date under the rims.

207907_10150219289565767_658940766_9079003_3166809_n.jpg

The old wheels, the laquer peel was aweful and they looked quite tired

200286_10150219290165767_658940766_9079008_6618316_n.jpg

Rubbed the bugger of a wheel down. Decided to do one wheel as a test. Sprayed with filler primer, flattened smooth with wet and dry 1200 and repeated 3/4 times.

207306_10150219290405767_658940766_9079010_2947597_n.jpg

Layer of yellow paint choice added, decided to use this for the rocker cover highlights, strut brace etc in the future, although at this point the colour was looking a bit rank to be fair :/

206841_10150219290870767_658940766_9079017_4086701_n.jpg

Black added, screws replaced and centre cap put back on. Looked quite nice ;) wheel number one of four, and it took a good 10 hours :/ Ah well, I had plenty of time, test fitted the wheel:

208357_10150219422085767_658940766_9080236_1139555_n.jpg

Looked quite promising

From here it looked like I was going to make it to modified live, but my car had boost issues shortly after :/ replaced the actuator to stock from a HKS and took the adjustable FPR off. Still overboosting, assuming its a cracked wastegate. Dug out my old turbo, that too had a cracked wastegate :/ Good luck or what. External wastegate oredered, still waiting on it haha.

Anyway, I took her slowly to the event, and she got there

GlanzaFront.jpg

Woo-hoo lol.

Thanks for looking guys, will update regularly lol. Ciao for now :D Time for a beer!

welcome adam :lol: finally on the site, car looked minty fresh at modified live mate! need to get a photoshoot with our cars soon yeah!

Cheers buddy! Was a pain in the a** getting it their, but managed in the end! Ye we'll have to get some pics going soon (:

• 2 years later...