damaged discs ? ok to use ?

right basically my drivers side rear caliper i presume the piston isnt retracting so it has basically pushed my brake pads to death and then has scratched the rear disc , it has around 5/6 lines all the way around the disc , not very deep just a little scratch , as soon as i heard the car scraping ive stopped driving it , i dont really fancy buying new discs as there expensive and these ones arnt very old.

my plan was to buy another yes ANOTHER (third now) caliper and some new pads and just use them , will this be ok ?

or am i guna have to spend out again !

my poor td04 is never guna get done at this rate :rolleyes:

My discs are like this too!

My front caliper sliders were sticking, and Gary GBR loosened them up for me. I'm guessing you have to do the same for rears?

EDIT: Why don't you just rebuild the calipers?

Well I've never had a look at the rears so I dunno if they're the same, but for the fronts:

When you take the caliper bit of the carrier so it's loose, it has a part on the top and bottom kind of a slider covered in a rubber housing, it moves in and out (if you can imagine it moving towards the centre of the car and then back out). Gary sprayed WD40 under the rubber seals into the sliders and knocked either side back and forth with a hammer until they could be slided by hand. Both for the top and bottom one.

Not sure whether it'll help the rear calipers, but if mine are sticky like that I'll be doing it before putting new brakes on

My rears also started seizind up and we loosened them using the same method as Amjad described. But after 7-8 months they seized again so i got new calipers, but using the same old scratched disk.

Maybe just see how it goes with the sliders first, and then try a caliper rebuild.

I don't think caliper rebuild kits cost a lot and I don't think they're too hard, someone on here did one quite recently. Plus it's better than buying loads of seized calipers!

Let us know how you get on, I need to sort mine out too when I'm back home :rolleyes:

ok ill get a pic in a minute

so if i take the caliper off and sliders wont move, if i get em freely moving the i should be ok no new caliper

if i take off the caliper and the sliders are already free moving then its the piston and ill need a new caliper

is that correct?

"so if i take the caliper off and sliders wont move, if i get em freely moving the i should be ok no new caliper"

It doesn't guarantee you won't need a rebuild, but it may fix the problem

"if i take off the caliper and the sliders are already free moving then its the piston and ill need a new caliper"

I think so!

Don't worry about the scoring mate they're not that bad...

As for the rear calipers you will have to wind in the piston which needs a brake tool to do so u can put the new pads in and I assure you it'll be as tight as hell when u try!

I had this happen a few weeks back, fkin starlets lol if it's not one thing its another.

Mine are still slightly binding on the off side rear now

ok now i need some opinions

today i took off the wheel and noticed that the disc was wobbling all over so i thought hmm maybe the wheel nut had come loose which it had so i tightened it by hand like advised etc and i thought HELL YEAH !! easy fix turned the wheel !! NOPE no fix lol

so then i took off the caliper and noticed the sliders were infact as thought stiff as , so i sprayed on some lube/degreaser hit it a couple of times with a hammer and it fell straight out , so i cleaned em both up (bigger/smaller one) and sprayed it up and slid it back in put the caliper back on and to no avail still rubbing

so surly it has to be the piston? and if so my new plan is to buy a caliper rewind tool and screw it back on would this fix it now the sliders are free or would this only prolong this happening again ?

cheers guys

right in all honesty im getting really fucked off now with this rear caliper shizzle and i wanted it sorted now or im guna put all my mods and cars up for sale !

now the seal around the piston split started to leak and then i get in such a mood i pulled the piston completely out to see how hard a rebuild is , but in the meantime i put the caliper back on the carrier and it is still rubbing !! theres no fucking piston so WTF !! whats it still rubbing scratching on ? it only doesnt rub if i pull the pads out a lil bit but they wont stay like that cause as soon as i use the brakes the pads are guna be pushed in again !! i seriously am fed up a caliper shud last longer then 5 months !

and i certainly as hell cant afford £200 for a new one and i sure as hell dont understand how to rebuild em ! anyone can help ?

yeah i sprayed em up with some grease , hit em with a hammer and pushed em out with a screwdriver , they were free and i could push em out with my fingers , but there was still a rubbing noise and i couldnt get the piston back in (how easy should a piston be to wind back in?)

im now guna buy another caliper fit it and buy the proper tool all new fluid and hopefully it should work !

if it dont ill buy a new handbrake cable

if that dont work its getin set a light !!