What does YOUR Corolla Inlet Mani do?

I'm not convinced this makes a difference to the n/a for some sort of reason.

Everyone does blab on about them making the performance much better etc, but when my brother drove mine yesterday which has the standard mani, he said its much more responsive than his. Mine didn't even have a filter on and was sucking in pure hot air so i'm wondering why mine 'feels' quicker?

Plus hes got a full exhaust system with the centre box removed and mines just a backbox..Wierd?

Get commenting n/a boys!

think his may seem slower because the filter sucking in warm air and also the the full exhaust he has on may be causing problems with back pressure which may be causing there to be lower mani pressure and therefore less fuel being supplied ( im learning myself so what i said could be bollocks)

also it depends on what life the engine has had (spark plugs, oil, cleaner fuel injectors, general wear and tear)

yes the mani doesnt make a hugh difference but there is benifits there. seems to rev more freely at the top end of the scale. i feel its better any way but it would be nice to get it on the rollers with both manis and see what kinda torque differences there are.

Mine was deffo sucking in much more hot air than his - Mine was taking it very hot air in from the throttle body (No filter) but his filters in the top corner.

He's had a new engine fitted 1200 miles ago, all new belts, oil, gaskets and new spark plugs. Even a new dizzy cap!! Its wierd.

Need to get both on the rollers!!

ok well there are a few reasons i can think of, but i just put it this way, the 100bhp n/a's and glanza s out in japan use this mani. along with a higher rev limit. and after changing mine over i would never go back.

i changed mine back over when i had mot last year, and i could tell the difference. it has much better bottom end response, i think this is due to the shorter runners. but the rolla mani was so much better in every other situation and just made the car much more fun to drive.

i really dont care about actual bhp gains. its nice for bragging rights, but i prefer a car that i enjoy, and that manifold unlocked a totally fun little rev happy engine!

Another good topic this.

Why are your engines sucking in hot air anyway guys lol??? You need a carbon airbox (I got one for sale :o)

I can vouch for a fact that the standard inlet mani is empty and bottomless once you get into the higher revs, for me it was plain crap and was made for economy in mind.

The corolla mani is tubular and the runners are positioned and designed to maximise the airflow in such a way that better and more freeflow acceleration can be achieved as well as slightly better throttle response. Car is less restrictive and much more rev happy for sure :lol: Like Rich says, it unlocks the engine. However it is understandable if some people dont get the same response from it, I've always had a low mileage motor so it is fairly unabused and runs well so the condition of your engine may well have a factor to how well your whole car performs.

The main torque difference is actually to do with the difference in the two exhaust systems, the stock one is much better for low down torque as it creates all the backpressure very well hence your good low down torque. With your bro's full system being 'freeflow' he most probably lost most of his low down torque due to the freeflowing exhaust altho I bet that he accelerates to higher speeds quicker. I can vouch for this as when I recently had my full straight through exhaust, my low down power basically disappeared. By adding a centrebox I was able to get most of it back *phew* :p so it shows that some restriction is needed for such a small engine to make some torque.

If I was you Idrees, to get the best out of your car as well as being resourceful, stick with the standard system, get the rolla mani and then get a decent carbon airbox with cold air feed. Your car will be very enjoyable to drive as that setup will give you VERY good low down torque especially in the higher gears and is perfect for everyday driving. Thats the same setup I HAD, and it was brilliant, I can tell you that it will make your SR enjoyable.

The way the Glanza S made use of this mani to gain the hundred horses was from bigger injectors, a more aggressive 4efe ecu and possibly a better/bigger throttle body. Keep testing the two SRs Idrees, you'll find the answer, Im sure.

Joz

Joz mate, thats some AWESOME information. How much for your carbon airbox? I want that or either a standard system with uprated panel filter.

My cars got just a backbox on at the moment and i hope to keep it like that!

good info joz. the glanza s is the same as the 4efe we use here with four differences.

-inlet mani

-ecu (with higher rev limiter)

-bigger injectors

-distributorless ignition

throttle body is the same. (i had a good poke around a S at the importer where i got my V from!) the only other main difference is the fact that the japs use 105ron fuel of corse!

but all in all. standard exhaust system is good for the rev range youve got. open it out too much and you face having most of your power on or past the limiter.

Joz mate, thats some AWESOME information. How much for your carbon airbox? I want that or either a standard system with uprated panel filter.

My cars got just a backbox on at the moment and i hope to keep it like that!

You're welcome man.

I gained much of this info from when I had my ss system made and I also did quite a bit of research on the net, I took it straight back the next morning to get a centre box fitted.

As for carbon airbox, it is standalone man, its just the carbon box itself (very clean filter inside) with no clips or air feeds, open to reasonable offers :lol:

Im sure your good self can get it setup. When set up right, it gives you the benefit of heat protection (like the old airbox) but also the airflow of an induction kit and guaranteed cold air intake as well as respectable filtering. You will need reducers for the engine side, the inlets on both ends are 76mm.

Joz

good info joz. the glanza s is the same as the 4efe we use here with four differences.

-inlet mani

-bigger injectors

throttle body is the same. (i had a good poke around a S at the importer where i got my V from!) the only other main difference is the fact that the japs use 105ron fuel of corse!

but all in all. standard exhaust system is good for the rev range youve got. open it out too much and you face having most of your power on or past the limiter.

Ah the joys of 105ron :p

Rich is right in saying that with a larger diameter exhaust, your peak power will be further up the rev range, this is good if you are always driving @ high rpm, but if its your daily driver then you will be thinking otherwise where low down torque is essential. Driving @ higher rpm often means speeding and boyracer tendencies :lol:

Joz

Just had a thought Idrees, your brother's SR being slower may have nothing to do with engine stuff, don't forget he has speakers and a massive subwoofer weighing the car down, that will account for less acceleration.

With the Starlet, weight (or lack of it) is what makes it go so well :lol:

Thats another good point Sir Blondalot :blondalot emoticon:

If your bro is driving with all his ICE, tell him to try a few runs with only necessary stuff in the car and see if there is any difference.

Its like having a passenger/passengers in the car, it does make a difference when the car is more weighed down.

Joz

p.s Is Sir Snaps your alter knight ego or perhaps Bruce Wayne's new butler???

Also, my corolla mani definately makes Bacon accelerate much quicker.

Enough so that I shocked Jo by going much quicker than before.

Brings out the best of the K&N panel filter too I reckon :p

Makes the car sound more aggressive (meatier) when revving/accelerating too :lol:

-inlet mani

-bigger injectors

2 questions.........

What size are our injectors and what size are the jap ones?

And about the distributorless ignition. Does it use individual coils on top of each plug or wasted spark from a single coil?

Also, my corolla mani definately makes Bacon accelerate much quicker.

Enough so that I shocked Jo by going much quicker than before.

Brings out the best of the K&N panel filter too I reckon :o

Makes the car sound more aggressive (meatier) when revving/accelerating too :lol:

New you would like it :p:p:o

-inlet mani

-bigger injectors

2 questions.........

What size are our injectors and what size are the jap ones?

And about the distributorless ignition. Does it use individual coils on top of each plug or wasted spark from a single coil?

I too would like to know, also would the Glanza S ECU be at home in a 'normal' starlet?

Just had a thought Idrees, your brother's SR being slower may have nothing to do with engine stuff, don't forget he has speakers and a massive subwoofer weighing the car down, that will account for less acceleration.

With the Starlet, weight (or lack of it) is what makes it go so well :lol:

Very true, i've been telling him to get rid off it for ages but he can't live without it!

Well that means i can smoke his arse once im on the road if he still has the SR!!

@mark edwards. i have asked about the injectors before and it is kinda pointless upping the injector size as the engine will not max out the standard ones. but if you are fitting the mappable ecu like you mentioned then yes it may work out better.

4efe= 195cc

4efte= 295cc

not sure what the glanza s runs though.

i think!!!!

Where the hell do you get your avatars from G???

And what the fuck is it all about :o:p:lol:

EDIT:- I just noticed it has changed again....i was on about the one with the clown woman thing with a baseball bat and a boy lol

@mark edwards. i have asked about the injectors before and it is kinda pointless upping the injector size as the engine will not max out the standard ones. but if you are fitting the mappable ecu like you mentioned then yes it may work out better.

4efe= 195cc

4efte= 295cc

not sure what the glanza s runs though.

i think!!!!

Thanks my friend, should be able to work it out from that.....if i can remember how to do it. :lol: