Right getting a 1.3i starlet (think its a base model) and was thinking of going back to powerflow for an exhaust as they done a pretty good job on my fez and was wondering is a straight through cat back system worth the money on a starlet? Or should I just stick with a back box? :lol:

Only asking this because I've read many times on car forums for other makes and models that the standard system for that make is actually designed to get the most out of the engine already and im on a limited budget as it is.

On a UK model I think you need the CAT to pass the emissions test, Jap models dont need them for it so I would keep the CAT on.

Or at least just have one you can put on.

I'd not really be fussed about a full system for a n/a model as its not going to gain much power. A very tidy nice looking and sounding back box is what I would go for but thats just me :lol:

Very good question Rich.

It depends what your long term goals are for the car.

This can be another way to look at it.

A decent backbox is a nice addition to the car and makes it a little sportier although it wont add anything major towards performance gains . Ive had just a backbox for a good year and it was plenty of enjoyment. I would fully recommend this option as you are starting out :lol:

If you fancy modifying your car to the extent that a new exhaust system will benefit your other modifications in the engine bay then that would be a good time to get a full system. Im sorry I cant say anymore as the performance side of things will vary for the individual. If you are using the stock manifolds then your experience may be very good as I have a friend who has a full 2" ss exhaust with decat and centrebox and he tells me that the car is quite a bit nippier. The bore or inner diameter of the system you get will also make or break you.

If you go for a decat then if you can afford the extra, get a removable sports decat, that will give you the best of both worlds. Give your car a little extra perk with the decat and when mot time comes, bolt it back in.

I now run a full 2" decat exhaust (with one bullet centrebox) and Im going to attempt to pass mot without the cat, if I fail then I will get a high flow sports cat.

My setup is however different to my friend's, who I mentioned earlier :o

At the end of the day its a 1.3 n/a (I own one too) so you wont be keeping up with 1.6 twincams unfortunately and there is only so much you can get out of it as I have taken it to the limit, trust me :p so a full exhaust system would perhaps be one of the last things you might want to do the car as the stock system is pretty good for what it is (economy and low torque) and for the expense of a full system you may not get the bang for buck that you may be expecting, but if you have the funds then its a great addition to have when done right and may be needed later to backup some decent engine mods.

Hope this helps.

Joz

Ok thanks for the feedback people, I've been searching on the forums and net and can't seem to find a decat pipe or sports 4-2-1 manifold for the N/A.

If someone could post a link to a website or a company name i could look into would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ok thanks for the feedback people, I've been searching on the forums and net and can't seem to find a decat pipe or sports 4-2-1 manifold for the N/A.

If someone could post a link to a website or a company name i could look into would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Custom exhausts places is the only way ;)

you should have a Powerflow or some other custom exhaust fabricating franchise near you so best bet is to go see them :p

Was going to go back to powerflow but when i asked about a straight through system for my Fez they said they only do cat-back. Spose i could just ask em to make a decate pipe that i can just swap back and forth whenever.