6 spead gearbox issues in my na 82

ok this weekend fitted a few parts to the drag sled,

lightened flywheel, solid mounts and a six speed box,

when i fitted it i could only get 3-4-5-6

no 1st and 2nd or reverse

after looking at the plastic gear selector cradle i could see it needed modified a bit and a few parts cutting away

after 2 ish hours with gaz at gbr we had trimmed enough to get all six gears

but i still cant engage reverse, which is next to first gear./

so my question to those of you that have fitted the six speed is what modifications did you do to engage reverse?

hi Enzo ,what gear selector and cable are you using,got starlet selector and glanza cable no other modification,reverse will be as first,need to be push on the left and up..its a bit hard to engage it.

ok thanx for the input but reverse is defo not happening at all with the shifter holder and linkages ive got the now

i have an ep82 na gearbox shifter and linkcage

ive assessed the plastic shifter and trimmed shitloads away from it and i cant trim anymore to make it move further to the left as all restrictions are away and its as far as it can go to the left and its still too short., it wont shift into reverse at all theres no way.

the the only course of action i think is to get a ep91 cable and shifter set in the hope that works

if anyone has any more input let me know? :)

ps the six speed mod is fucking amazing, so much more pull up top !

pretty sure the plastic mounting wont fit from a corolla,

also where would i start to find one, they are rare as hense teatch,

and the shifter cables work out at 230 from rich man toyota

but thanx for the input socks

can you post a pic of it, I might be able to help more then. but I cannot see why it would work on an EP91 shifter and not the 81... The corolla one wont fit. Did you get the selector cables from the G6 box, maybe the ep82 ones are just not long enough

no i dident as the scrap man cut them

yea il take a few pics in a bit of the shifter mount, but am thinking the shifter cables on the 82 are too short aswell

i have some ep91 shifter cables here so all is not lost

@ bean with this shifter and calbe setup i have the now, i can engage all six gears easy enough to fire through them its insane/emense

its just reverse i cant get at all

cut back som of the shifter cable sheef should sort it.

chris

gearbox end, kids it into thinking its a longer 1.

i dont understand that at all dude, could you reword it please, as i think that will help

@ bucket your cool dude thanx for the offer, gona start by fitting a set of ep91 shifter cables first after trying out nastyrashes suggestion

yep sorry fella was i a rush as always,

rev on the six speed is over to the very left and up, so the top of the gear stick travels forward but wen u look past the pivet point on the gear stick it travels backwards pulling the cable into the car meaning u need the travel to be at the gear box end correct. the problem u will find if u look under the bonnet at the cables is cable head (wer it attaches to the gear box sellector arm) hits the cable sheeth (cable cover) trim this down and it will allow the cable to travel further into the sheeth. if i remember right thr is about 3 inch after the cable mount to play with. is that any better mate.

chris.

on lukes car we got the cables for the six speed with the box but wen we compared thm the cables was the same length but the sheeth was smaller only on 1 of the cables if my memmory serves me right. hope this is helps, u will have to peel back the rubber boots and u will see wat im saying. aply grease tto the cable mate wen you cut the sheeth back as you will catch the steel cable protective cover and this will rust and stick in the sheeth if water gets in

hey dude not had a chance to work at it, should get another chance at some point at the start of next week and will post up pictures of the linkage part in question then

thanx again for the pointer :)

the pinion gear on sixth is narrower thn the rest fella also this is wer the weakness lies, thy did it so thy could squeeze a sixth gear into the standard box out fit. the way to tackle this is to watch engaging 6th gear make sure not to just ram it in and try and rev out 5th taking initial loading off 6th, in other words be smooth with it, big traction is the cause of failer mate. but other thn that thy real good fun.

chris