servers, anyone know anything about them, thinking about buying one

as the title suggests,

im clueless on anything much to do about them physicaly.

does anyone know anything about servers,

like how much do they cost to buy?

what bandwith capacity they take and any other info you can regurgitate on them?

thanx in advance :)

the latter dude,

"or building/buying a server, setting it up in your home and using it for uksc?"

i use a few hosting companys the now, and it would take another link out of the chain.

i took a quick look on the dell website at the servers they had but did not know what context to put those into or weather they are even any good,

do you have your own server?

im guessing your running out of space, if your deleting old posts. ive search for some stuff on here and i struggle to find the answer... have to resort to tgtt :(

ontop of that has anything been done with updating the forum software cus this IPB is miles out of date, surely donations could upgrade this also!

thanx for the links gents,

@kerri il have a decent look at that,

@ socks its nothing l to do with server space, phil alrady covered that only sales threads get deleted dude so in regards to searching your doing something wrong.

and theres no danger im updating the forum software, try and keep this on topic if you can dude

Like socks said, if your going to host the site from home for a decent server your looking 4K + with RIAD set-up, redundant power supply's etc etc etc never mind the cost of your internet line.

Regards "using a server in a farm" this will only happen if running virtual software, VMware or Hyper V. Both big £££££££££££££££

If you want help or advice regarding storage, bandwidth performance drop me a pm.

really depends on what your reasoning for moving from the current hosting is?

just running slowly? Poor service? Going over monthly limits?

what are the requirements of UKSC? how much bandwidth a month, and what sort of SQL storage requirements.

Running from your home is usually a bad idea due to power cuts/internet cuts. and for a fast enough line you will be paying a fortune.