help please strange noise

just recently my car seems to make a clicking noise on accelation. sounds like its coming from belts. it sounds like a stone in the tyre type noise but stops when i stop accelarating and its coming from just infront of me.

i checked my oil today and it was low. (now filled) could this be a possible cause of a problem. it doesnt seem to do it when stationary and reving only when driving.

any ideas?

it does it more in lower gears really. i had a bit of a drive shaft problem which seemed to vanish but now i get this noise. but it doesnt sound like its coming from the driveshaft. im really pissed of with it.

ok i have been just come across someone (not with a starlet) who had a similar clicking noise. it was the belt almost snapped. i tried to get the plastic cover off to see if this is the case with mine. but i didnt have the tools to get to one of the bolts.

anyone had this problem or know how much it would be to replace if it is the belt which is under the plastic cam cover?

getting worried as i dont want it to go snap if its this.

yeah the speedo cable can click if its loose mate.

if your car is up for cambelt change, get it sorted.

buy the belt off ebay or daveburwash from his service section. garage shouldnt charge too much to change it. couple of hours labour if there slow lol

im taking it tommorow to get checked over. how do i check for the speedo cable rattling. see i dont know if its due to me accelarating thats causing the noise, or the vibrations from accelarating. its kinda a strange one. i will get all checked out tommorow.

seems to do it when i accelarate hard and speeds up as my revs get up. thats what makes me think belts.

camkit-1.jpg

Cam Belt Kits For 4efte EP82/EP91

£49.00 + £5.50 del

would this be it? my cousin said to get the whole kit. not just the belts. so is this the right one for a 4efe as well?

he said that this is unlikely to be the cause of the noise but he said for peice of mind he will change it me if i just buy the kit. its prob up for a change anyway so might as well. how many miles is it recomended to be changed?

he couldnt find a problem. but he said that maybe there is a small gap in the inlet mani gasket that is forcing a little bit of air out, which makes a kinda clicking sound. so im gonna check all the bolts there as one may have came loose. im also gonna fiddle around behind the dash and try and find a vibration from there.

there is no problem with how it is running, just annoying. i will happily not worry about it as long as i know my cambelt isnt gonna snap!

thanks mate. im just gonna get it done as its only gonna cost me the price of the parts and a 4 pack of fosters, so i might as well.

• 3 weeks later...

update on this.

i found the cause today. it seemed to be really bad on my drive to work this morning so i had an inspection on my break. i found an air leak in my exhaust mani between the mani and the block. it must be the gasket needs changing. but for now i have repaired the gap with repair paste and the noise has completly gone and also some performance and smooth running has returned. i will get the gasket done when i get time but for now the repair paste has done the trick.

i cant understand how it has got a hole in it and how i didnt find it before. but its all cool now.

not too sure to be honest mj......... the only reason i can see for not is that it could be induced (if thats the word, just wanted a better one than sucked up. lol.) into the engine, which would be really bad. may not be the best idea really.

Mine was making really bad noises yesterday and today, 2250 revs, so off I go to the garage, with metal images of valves slapping into cylinder heads

It needed 1/2 a liter more oil, in it goes, still making noise, guys walks off comes back with a grubby looking screwdriver, presses the exhaust heatshield down, revs engine, noise is gone! :rolleyes:

I asked about the cambelt, 63k is what they say, my car is a 63k-something, guess what I'm having done on Friday!

that means mine will be due for a cam belt in around 5k whoo!!!

not too sure to be honest mj......... the only reason i can see for not is that it could be induced (if thats the word, just wanted a better one than sucked up. lol.) into the engine, which would be really bad. may not be the best idea really.

isnt exhaust repair paste usually set with the heat in the exhaust??? so it migh not set and is usually meant for in between joints and gaskets unless you use the gun gum stuff but thats more sticky!! for use with repair patches and stuff!!!

Timing belt is due at 62k miles or 5 years :rolleyes:

Exhaust paste solves everything. That will be fine on the inlet manifold...forever :p Grey sealer...does exhausts,acts as a gasket for nearly everything :p

Lol, my car had its first cambelt change when i bought the car (when the car was 7 years old :wub:)

So that paste stuff could seal my air leak I have then?

Where can I get it from?