I had to take off the steering wheel the other day to replace the plastic shroud on the back of it, i disconnected the battery did what i had to do reconnected all the wires, yet now when i start the car the airbag light doesnt go off. I checked the three fuses none of them have blown any ideas?

you could try a local garage not sure if they will be able to read the codes though toyota has a computer that will plug on the car and reads all the systems on the car and tells you where the problem is but could be a bit expensive depending on what they charge if its anything like my work could be expensive!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

hmm thought as much, dont wanna be spending loadsa money on the car when i want to sell it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well bit of a bodge but you could just take the bulb out for the airbag light in the dash then problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tut tut man nah dont want the car to be dangerous for the future owner wanna get it sorted but not have to sell the car to pay for it lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well i have never done it but do no people that have but yeah no what you mean just an idea anywayz i can try and find out a diy procedure for ya if you want at work 2moz!!!????????? :p:p:p

Connect/short terminlas E1 and TE1

HERES A LIST OF CODES FOR ALL TOYOTAS

1 SYSTEM O.K

2 MAP SENSOR OR CIR

3 IGNITION SIGNAL FROM AMPLIFIER

4 CTS/ CIR

6 RPM SIG OR CIR

7 THROTTLE POT SENSOR OR COR

8 ATS/CIR

9 VSS/CIR

10 CRANKING SIG OR CIR

11 A/C SWITCH OR CIR

TOYOTA TCCS FAULT CODES ( 2 DIGITS)

12 RPM SIG OR CIR

13 " " " "

14 ING SIG FROM AMP

16 ECT CONTROL SIG OR CIR

21 OXY SENS/ CIR

22 CTS/CIR

24 ATS/CIR

25 OXY SENS LEAN SIG/ CIR

26 OXY SENS RICH SIG/CIR

27 OXY SENS/CIR

28 " " "

31 MAP SENS/ CIR OR AFS

32 VANE AIRFLOW SENS OR CIR

34 TURBO PRESSURE SIGN OR CIR

35 " " " " "

41 THROTTLE POT SENS OR CIR

42 VSS/CIR

43 CRANKING SIG OR CIR

47 THROTTLE POT SENS OR CIR

51 A/C SWITCH SIG OR CIR

52 KNOCK SENS OR CIR

53 KNOCK CONTROL OR CIR

54 TURBO INTERCOOLER SIG OR CIR

55 KNOCK SENS OR CIR

[sourced from GTTturbo.com :Macker]

How long did you have the battery terminal off for? I have this funny feeling one of my mates has had a similar problem. It's got to do with the ECU resetting or something to that effect... I'll ask the Toyota encyclopaedia when I see him.

In the engine bay there is a fuse/diagnostics box. Under the lid you'll see a diagram of the terminals. Bridge TE1 & E1 with an old bit of wire or paperclip or something.

Then look at your dash, the engine management light should be flashing. There will be X flashes then a small pause then another Y flashes. Then a bigger pause and it should repeat (or give a dif set of flashes if there is more than 1 error)

Ie.

*FLASH*FLASH*FLASH*FLASH*FLASH*

*pause*

*FLASH*FLASH*

*pause*

*pause*

*FLASH*FLASH*FLASH*FLASH*FLASH*

*pause*

*FLASH*FLASH*

And that would be your knock sensor (52)

aaah you got there before me thats what i was goin to say but there are different codes again for each system so it narrows it down even more to a specific point but you will also need to clear the codes in the ecu which is shorting out different terminals and that should put the light out if it was just that you disconnected the airbag! if not it will come straight back on again but it sounds like thats all but i have forgotten what terminals to short out as we always use the computer for it which is so much easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you could take it down to toyota and get them to run a codde check on the car and clear the codes and see it will only take 5mins so maybe wouldnt cost that much!!!!!!!! how far away are you from gatwick airport because you could run it down one saturady to my work and will do it for ya????????????

not far mate i live in Dartford, but im never off on saturdays any other days? cheers man

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well can do some week days but would be easier on a saturday only have half an hour to look at it unles gets booked in but that means paying in the week

ok thanks man, ill see what i can do wheres your garage maybe my dad can bring it up

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

toll house toyota gatwick is the place if you go on toyota website and search for it it gives you an address on there and possibly a little map