Wiper Fuse Blows When Ignition Turned ON

Hi Folks,

My wiper fuse keeps blowing every time the ignition is turned ON, without even operating the wiper switch.

Tried unplugging all motors, switch and checked all wiring and all seems to be OK.

Anyone got a wiring diagram or know what else could be ran off the wiper fuse causing it to blow.. as I dont know what else to check.

Thanks,

John

sounds like its earthed before the window wiper switch. had the same prob with my fog lights in ma old crx to say it was a nightmare to find would be an under statement took a good few hours of scratching my head and a big fuck off box of spare fuses

Have been putting 20Amps in it for 2 days and I've blown about 8 fuses.

The motor isn't earthed through the mounting bolts either because the mounting holes have rubber bushes on them so that would rule out an earth.

Toyota said the earth wire on the connector should earth off the inlet, but the loom runs through the bulk head back into the car and no where near the inlet manifold.

Have been putting 20Amps in it for 2 days and I've blown about 8 fuses.

The motor isn't earthed through the mounting bolts either because the mounting holes have rubber bushes on them so that would rule out an earth.

Toyota said the earth wire on the connector should earth off the inlet, but the loom runs through the bulk head back into the car and no where near the inlet manifold.

the bolt bolts into the firewall, which is metal... the bolt is metal... so thats how its earthed... The rubber bushes are basically washers...

sounds like you have a short circuit after the fuse check with a meter to see if its shorting to ground at the fuse and trace the wiring.

I'm kinda useless when it comes to checking things with a multi meter so I wouldnt know where to start to be honest.

The wiper switch is earthed behind the kick panel and that is ok, then the blue wire running from the fuse runs to the switch and thats ok.

they cant be earthed through the bolts cause the bolt doesnt touch any metal surface on the motor.

the motor is between rubber bushes, therefore not being in contact with any bit of metal. and the bolt is not touching anything other than the firewall as it bolts thru the rubber and not the motor.

The ignitor is earthed yes, because it doesnt have any rubber bushes between it and the firewall.

they cant be earthed through the bolts cause the bolt doesnt touch any metal surface on the motor.

the motor is between rubber bushes, therefore not being in contact with any bit of metal. and the bolt is not touching anything other than the firewall as it bolts thru the rubber and not the motor.

mate.... trust me... it is... please... lol

me and kidv couldnt understand why his spotif turbo wouldnt start, touch the bracket to the top mount bolts, brum off it went... and when i was refurbing my scuttle panel, i had bolts out for wiper motor, the motor would NOT run, without the mounting bolts in...

so believe me mate, they DO earth through the mounting bolts. They still pass through the metal bracket!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-STARLET-E...R-/220715342821

Bolt has the pass thru the metal holes on the metal mounting bracket still.... :)

Right well its beside the point cause that still doesn't solve my problem. IF the bolts do earth it, then its well earthed.

So how does that cause a fuse to blow every time I turn the key without even operating the wipers??

auto electricians are like £45 an hour round here buddy, there well worth it on problems like this!

has it just started doing it 1 morning? or did it once, then slowly got more and more frequent.... To point where now it constantly blows them...

Car hasnt seen a battery never mind been started, in the past 18 months as I've totally rebuilt it from top to bottom.

Wipers have always worked and never been touched so thats why I'm confused as to why it keeps blowing fuses.

I put a new battery in it the other day, every other electric works inside the car other than the wipers!

Disconnected both motors, switch and washer bottle motor and still it blows.