Coolant protection level?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah thats what I meant but with the Toyota stuff if you need to top up with water for an emergency u cant apparently?

And yeah I'm a bit fussy....dunno what to go for as i've used the comma stuff before in toher cars and its been fine, but i'm trying to treat the glanza extra special lol.

Yeah thats what I meant but with the Toyota stuff if you need to top up with water for an emergency u cant apparently?

And yeah I'm a bit fussy....dunno what to go for as i've used the comma stuff before in toher cars and its been fine, but i'm trying to treat the glanza extra special lol.

Yeah they dont recommend mixing it with anything other than Toyota Red. I suppose in an emergency you could top it up with water but flush it at soonest convenience. I just have some left over so I kept that for any future top ups.

Heres a little info on the Toyota Red coolant. Here

D

only use red toyota coolant. use anything else at your own risk, toyota have blended the coolant specifically to the materials they have used in your engine and radiators and matrix etc, phosphate levels and silicates etc,

why use a universal coolant, when theres one available that is designed specifically for your engine?

Thats a good point tbh, but then why do people use different brands of engine oil...etc

the coolant i linked isnt exactly universal its model specific but does cover a few models...basically they have to make it suitable for your engine?

Ill have a read of that link now starlet sr....i'll probs go for the toyota red...how much is it? EDIT: that link is the one i read mate....the not mixing part is what scares me...what if the garage put some water in to try be helpful or something....it would be likely to cause damage, no?

Thats a good point tbh, but then why do people use different brands of engine oil...etc

the coolant i linked isnt exactly universal its model specific but does cover a few models...basically they have to make it suitable for your engine?

Ill have a read of that link now starlet sr....i'll probs go for the toyota red...how much is it?

It just explains a little more about the Toyota Red stuff. I dont know how much it is retail as I get it on a trade discount lol which works out around £8 for 5 litres of the premixed stuff. Ebay might be a good bet to find it cheaper

D

It just explains a little more about the Toyota Red stuff. I dont know how much it is retail as I get it on a trade discount lol which works out around £8 for 5 litres of the premixed stuff. Ebay might be a good bet to find it cheaper D
YEAH I JUST REALISED THATS THE LINK I READ EARLIER....ITS THE MIXING BIT THAT WORRIES ME IN CASE THE CGARAGE OR SOMEBODY ELSE tops it up with water lol,  AND THEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG :/ AND AH I SEE, ITS ABOUT 35 QUID ON EBAY BUT ILL RING TOYOTA SEE WHAT THEY SAY.      CHEERS

ah okay i'll probs use that then, yeah i wont mix it with any water but you dunno what garages are like these days topping up fluids and stuff...would a 5l premixed bottle be enough for a complete flush? And itll be okay to use after flushing the system with water yeah haha?

Also....where is the jack hideaway bit in the starlet? Is there a white strip of plastic with two bolt holes thats meant to go anywhere in the boot....i was given it with my glanza but dunno where it goes haha?

As said above, you could still probebly add 1.5 litres to the red stuff and it'll be ok :) Retail on red is £15ish i think? The Toyota stuff is just easier, already mixed so just pour it in, none of this "2 parts water to 1 part coolant" pish.

If your super para about it all, do your coolant change, run the car for a few days then do a hyrdometer test when its cold, that'll tell you if you've dropped any strength with adding water, to be honest you shouldnt need to add much water if any doing a flush :)

Swings and roundabouts really lol, everyones got their own rules in regards to the coolant lol. And it might be lol, always go through trade anyway lol.

ah okay i'll probs use that then, yeah i wont mix it with any water but you dunno what garages are like these days topping up fluids and stuff...would a 5l premixed bottle be enough for a complete flush? And itll be okay to use after flushing the system with water yeah haha?

Also....where is the jack hideaway bit in the starlet? Is there a white strip of plastic with two bolt holes thats meant to go anywhere in the boot....i was given it with my glanza but dunno where it goes haha?

I bought 2x 5l premixed. Was plenty to flush system completely and fill expansion bottle. And its behind the o/s//r tail light. Little plastic cover. And not sure lol? No white trim inside the glanza? Unless its from the top of the rear screen inside?

D

To be fair guys anti-freeze makes very little differance what brand you use. All it does is prevent the water from freezing in cold weather and raise its boiling point by a few degrees. In theory in a warmer climate water alone is fine. The differance between red and green/Blue stuff is the red stuff is good for 5 years and the blue is good for 2 years although most people tend not to change it that often to be fair. Dont worry about your brand or cost i use car plan ready mixed and its 1.99 per ltr in morrisons just now lol. As long as when you have topped it up you go to a garage and have them check the strength of it and what temp its good to go down to. If you had this work done in a garage they would use the same stuff for nearly every car. Oh and the other rule is dont mix colours as they can gel.

To be fair guys anti-freeze makes very little differance what brand you use. All it does is prevent the water from freezing in cold weather and raise its boiling point by a few degrees. In theory in a warmer climate water alone is fine. The differance between red and green/Blue stuff is the red stuff is good for 5 years and the blue is good for 2 years although most people tend not to change it that often to be fair. Dont worry about your brand or cost i use car plan ready mixed and its 1.99 per ltr in morrisons just now lol. As long as when you have topped it up you go to a garage and have them check the strength of it and what temp its good to go down to. If you had this work done in a garage they would use the same stuff for nearly every car. Oh and the other rule is dont mix colours as they can gel.

that is askin for trouble!!! if you put the crappy cheapo blue stuff in your toyota you pretty much have started to kill it.

blue coolant ruins toyota engines, i have seen it happen. dont do it. jus put toyota red in it, the extra amount it costs you will save by not having to replace your engin and radiator.

the toyota stuff has specific corrosion inhibitors in it suited to the materials they use in there engines,

the blue stuff mite be orite in your old cast iron pinto powered sierra, but not in your modern mixed alloy head/ cast block toyota.

i bet you dont use morrisons oil in your engine so why use crap coolant.

I can honestly say in the 8 years ive spent as a mechanic ive never seen anti-freeze doing any damage to an engine. The differance being that oil is a major component in an engine. Whereas anti-freeze is there purely to aid water within our climate. It is the water that does the work not the anti-freeze all that does is raise the boiling point and lower the freezing point of the water. The more likely cause of the damage you have seen to engines is the quality of water used as hard water can cause calcium deposits and others much like a kettle or a washing machine.

I can honestly say in the 8 years ive spent as a mechanic ive never seen anti-freeze doing any damage to an engine. The differance being that oil is a major component in an engine. Whereas anti-freeze is there purely to aid water within our climate. It is the water that does the work not the anti-freeze all that does is raise the boiling point and lower the freezing point of the water. The more likely cause of the damage you have seen to engines is the quality of water used as hard water can cause calcium deposits and others much like a kettle or a washing machine.

If you read the above link it explains why they recommend the Toyota Red coolant.

D

I bought 2x 5l premixed. Was plenty to flush system completely and fill expansion bottle. And its behind the o/s//r tail light. Little plastic cover. And not sure lol? No white trim inside the glanza? Unless its from the top of the rear screen inside?

D

I'm gonna get the Toyota red stuff, I checked a website which said the starlet takes about 4 litres so 1 5 litre one should do shouldnt it? If i understand correctly flushing means dropping the old, flushing with water then filling with new?

And ahh ive found it, didn't know I had a jack lol thanks. N hmm i'll get a pic lol

I'm gonna get the Toyota red stuff, I checked a website which said the starlet takes about 4 litres so 1 5 litre one should do shouldnt it? If i understand correctly flushing means dropping the old, flushing with water then filling with new?

And ahh ive found it, didn't know I had a jack lol thanks. N hmm i'll get a pic lol

Ahh right. I know they dont take a lot. Helps we've got two toyotas so can always pinch my parents stuff lol. And yeah. Drop the thermostat out, drain all coolant out, fill system with water and let it circulate. Drain off fully, refit thermostat then fill system with the red. Thats how I do it anyway.

And haha, I didnt notice it at first lol/

D

You can buy 4 life (Toyota red stuff) pre mixed or concentrated. The pre mix is just 50/50 with distilled water. All i get is the concentrated stuff and mix 50/50 with distilled water.

Part number for the concentrated is = T08889-80014 think it's makes 10l's i payed £15 last time.

Ahh right. I know they dont take a lot. Helps we've got two toyotas so can always pinch my parents stuff lol. And yeah. Drop the thermostat out, drain all coolant out, fill system with water and let it circulate. Drain off fully, refit thermostat then fill system with the red. Thats how I do it anyway.

And haha, I didnt notice it at first lol/

D

Ah I see, I'll see the price but im on a tight budget atm so hoping 5 litres will do :/ N ahh yeah thats the way I thought, need to fit a new stat anyway, gonna flush the matrix out at the same time

N yeah I've been thinking there was no jack lol, i'm stumped about this plastic strip though lol

You can buy 4 life (Toyota red stuff) pre mixed or concentrated. The pre mix is just 50/50 with distilled water. All i get is the concentrated stuff and mix 50/50 with distilled water.

Part number for the concentrated is = T08889-80014 think it's makes 10l's i payed £15 last time.

Ah I see, I'd hope to go for pre-mixed as I dunno where to get distilled water, unless de-ionised water is the same?

Does anyone know if one ready mixed will do?

Im with StuDoc on this one, Coolant is Coolant, it doesnt matter which one you stick in it. Toyota say buy their brand because it makes them money, its simple as that. Using an aftermarket brand will no more damage your engine than using toyotas stuff.

They all use the same Ethylene glycol which is the active ingredient in varying strengths, it stops your engine from freezing in the winter and slightly raises the boil temp.

Same as oil, brake fluid, any liquids, Toyota will recommend you only use their brand stuff.

:)

Ah I see, I'll see the price but im on a tight budget atm so hoping 5 litres will do :/ N ahh yeah thats the way I thought, need to fit a new stat anyway, gonna flush the matrix out at the same time

N yeah I've been thinking there was no jack lol, i'm stumped about this plastic strip though lol

Ah I see, I'd hope to go for pre-mixed as I dunno where to get distilled water, unless de-ionised water is the same?

Does anyone know if one ready mixed will do?