What is a strut brace worth?

Everyone has different tastes in tyres so you have to really test them yourself to see what you like

completely agree with that! :D

personally i'm running 195/55/15 Toyo T1S(front) T1R(Back)

like the more aggressive tread pattern of the 'S' for shear grip and dispersing water.

Suspension is a major area that can be improved on our cars as its one of the weakest, also one of the most expensive if u want to upgrade your car properly.

Jozpension n/a martyr

i couldent agree with you more,

im doing a quite indepth article the now on the suspension components and how they change the chassis dynamics of the starlet

speaking from experience and to be honest the two most effective mods that are the most nocitable and share in value for money

you would be best investing in a rear anti roll bar and front anti lift kit. for an outlay of just under 140 nicker you could have both these items

i canot stress how much they change the handling on any starlet

think of a nutral chassis with no understear and lift off overstear on demand with a wheel shouting whats goin on at you!!

in regards to the strut braces and lower tie bar, the stronger and rigid the chassis is, the less chance of your geometry constantly changing

you would only really notice the difference of the braces if your car had really firm suspension or if you traveled on alot of rutted and off camber roads...

personally i love soft compound tyres, i feel they give the most grip even if they do ware very quickly! :p

profile really is up to what you want, i find 195's are fine for my little GT, i know a few people use 205's for the extra surface

(as i'm sure most people would also recommend) :D

i run 205's on the front and 195s on the back on a 16 inch rim.

im going to upgrade to 225s on the front once i get a set of cruse flared arches and the right width of rims :D

Hey people, thanks for your informed oppinions, i shall be looking into it some more.

I have toyo proxees T1-Rs on all four wheels, ive found out during my research is that Toyo deliberatly changed the tyres between T1-S and R. The S has more all round grip like in the wet and good in the dry, but the Rs have been changed to be super effective in the dry but reduced in the wet handling, i dont know if anyone has noticed this. The source for this knowledge is from the Toyo site. As for the eagle F1... don't know, never tried them yet.

I was wondering how to improve brakes, i actually was asking ollie yesturday, he mentioned the brake reseviour to increase the pressure put on the brakes, but wasn't totally sure. I currently have 3G brakes with holes and grooves and green stuff pads. How can I make them more effective?

Those Toyos looke nice man, but is there some reason i can't see the yokees?

T

@ T - I am running 3g 10 groove discs and greenstuf pads (soon to be ferodo) but to finish the front brakes off I will be getting braided brakes lines with some decent brakes fluid and a Cusco Brake Cylinder Stopper (aka BCS). This basically stops the brake resovoir moving around and gives the pedal a firmer feel.

Hope that helps you into your next brake upgrades :D

Investing?? have i missed somthing? :D

Thanks sparky, it does help a bit. :D

I've been told that there isn't any point of changing the back drums to discs because most of the braking happens at the front.

T

Well the bossman has been designing an antilift kit for a few years now to put into production and Phil cant keep his pants on about them :p:D

Glad to help, I would do the rear brakes just for looks really :wub::wub:

Right time for my 2p.

I have standard sr suspension with front and rear strut braces. My F & R braces seem to have tightend it up sufficiently considering the cheapness!! The eagle f1 tyres are spot on im runnung them in 195/50/15 the ride is so much better than the 45's, and there ist much real difference in price between them and the toyo's.

Like everone has said the main week link is the suspesion. upgradeing the suspension depends how far you want to take your starlet, and how far your walet will stretch!!!

Brakes are on my list of things to do asap!!!!

I have 45 tyres and shelly has 50, mine is still softer than hers :D:D sorry, jus had to add it to mock her :p

but to be honest, they don't look much different and i havent noticed much difference in bumpyness, but then again she has only let me drive her car once.. but on the other had, driving around in a glanza with 'Girl Power' on the side doesn't do much for my reputation :D , not to mention the little toy thingies on her dashboard :wub:

@ Joz - ooo, that is an idea... seeming as she did steal my blitz induction kit :wub: to see whether it makes her car sound louder.

T

'Tyres'

must remember that these are the only x4 bits of rubber that are keeping you on the road, so please, please make sure you buy the best tyres you can arrord, check the pressure regularly and keep an eye on tread!

Ought to check my pressure, haven't checked since I bought the car......oops :p ;)

As for tyres, who the hell are Marangoni? (have these on my front wheels)

I have 4mm left on the front and 7mm left on the rear. Guinness Book of Records?

On mine on the left hand side have 4mm of tread, and have 5mm of tread of both right hand side tyres :D Tis odd.......

And just for the record, have 195/70/13 :p :P

Ought to check my pressure, haven't checked since I bought the car......oops :p ;)

As for tyres, who the hell are Marangoni? (have these on my front wheels)

On mine on the left hand side have 4mm of tread, and have 5mm of tread of both right hand side tyres :D Tis odd.......

And just for the record, have 195/70/13 :p :P

Dont think you have 195 Mikey, check again :D

Probably 165