Hi guys. In refurbing my rims soon. The centres are grey so should easily be able to sand down but the lip is chrome (pic below) How would I go about Sanding the lip down to spray onto.

I will be spraying the centres Matt black and the lip candy red. Any tips on how to spray Matt black too, do I lacquer it etc? All tips would be much appreciated. Thanks

63f7504f.jpg

I think he meant 2000 to get a polished lip, you don't want to go to such a high grade for painting I don't think

And yeah definitely wet sand before primer and perhaps between coats?

The lacquer wont stick to the polished lip as the lacquer need a rough surface to grab too. My old wheels on my yaris had a poilished outer lip and then had been lacquer and it just peeled off. I would do the rest of the wheel first ie paint and lacquer and do the polishing of the lip last.

Looking at the pic again looks tight between the spoke and the polished part, might be a struggle to get the paper in between them???

samd the lip back with 120 180 grade mate then use a good high build primer then use a 800 wet and dry to wet flat the prime then degrease it paint and then clear coat mate that how i do rims at work remember 95% preb 5% paint bud

Thanks guys for yor comments

@lilryan- so I should wet sand the lip and the. Use a normal primer or hetch primer? And then sand again and then primer again? And then paint and laquer?

@akyapotter- how did you go about doing it matey? A step by step guide would be bee e a utifull ;) lol

samd the lip back with 120 180 grade mate then use a good high build primer then use a 800 wet and dry to wet flat the prime then degrease it paint and then clear coat mate that how i do rims at work remember 95% preb 5% paint bud

This ^^^^ but if your using rattle cans id rub the lip down alittle smoother than 180, maybe work your way to 400 grit.

Edited by Ryan-11

Id rub the whole wheel down with 400 grit including the lip use scotch brite on hard to get areas , any chips and scratches use some 180 then 240 then 400, etch prime any bear metal then prime the whole wheel, let it dry and rub down with 800 using water then paint and laquare.