broken down advise needed asap

Just out for a drive went to change gear and herd a crunch from gearbox and now cars stuck in gear. Gearsticks realy losely moving up and down but won't go from side to side at all. Any ideas the cause of this? I've managed to get outside a garage but there closed till tuesday. And I live at the top of a hill so can't get car home.am hoping its a cheap fix like a shifter cable but have no idea realy

Any help be great

Cheers shaun

you can check the shifter cables easily enough, they join at the back of the gear box tot he right of the inlet manifold.

If it crunched and stays in gear it sounds like a synchro problem, my van did the same when the synchro failed, it would go into any gear and when it did it wouldnt come out of gear!

Sounds like the release bearing is jammed if you can get someone near by to help you rock the car back and forth why you play about with the cluch ectl that might help realise the bearing

well had a good play around with it the clutch itself is fine and the selecters on the box move now. so i can only assume its the shifter cables? how much of a bitch are these to change as it looks to be a right bitch of a job

the cars stuck parked on the 60 speed limit road so will need to be super easy todo lol. hopefully iddy will sort me out with a new cable and i can get it sorted out asap and bring her home.

ill take a trip out to it later to see if i can see were cable has snaped normaly my mates garage would be able to take it home for me but there not open till tuesday now. its at the side of the road but its in a pretty safe place. still hasnt stoped me checking it bout 5 times a day ha :D

just been out and striped it back the cables for the forward/back movement has snaped but judging by the lengh of cable it looks like its snaped just before it goes out the bulk head so cant get close enought to it to try pikey it to get it home. all in all not so bothered now i was move concerned it was the freshly built box. just a pain its on easter weekend dont think post offices are open tomorow

am with the AA to via my bank but pretty sure it just covers me to take it to a garage to get fixed not my home address. should be safe were it is till i get a new cable and and meanwhile ill just rock my monster clio :D:p

was tempted but to tow it but id have to take bumper on glanza and what not. on a 12 hour shift tomorow cant do anything till the linkage arrives which will be wed but mates said he can take his work truck down on tuesday and drop it off at my house.