Why does the 5e suffer from low oil pressure?

i have been reading people say that the 5efte can suffer from low oil pressure, can somone explain why this is over the stock 4e which has no probems and neither does the original stock 5efe.

i am wondering if i should do the oil pressure relief valve mod or if i should leave it alone?

Edited by Taggy

I would assume it was to do with the longer oil route through the turbo etc and maybe a weaker pump? At a total guess also is the 5e sump baffled? This maybe a part of it too if the oil is moving away from the pickup all the time?

hmmm yeah for some reason the stock 5e sump is nearly twice as deep as the 4e looking at it, should i use the stock 5e sump and pickup and just tap in a new oil return for the turbo, it looks like it holds oil much better!

It does look like its got baffle in it but its not a very good design, its shallow and hard cornering the oil can just spill out to the side!

Edited by Taggy

I thought the 4E sump was baffled from factory? Well atleast slightly anyway. And obviously its convinent that it has the oil return already plumbed in. I also thought the 4E and 5E oil pumps were the same?

I'll be using the 4E setup on mine.

Edited by AdamB

4e uk na isnt baffled 4e fte or jdm 4e na are from what I've gathered. And would make sense the pumps are the same was just trying to eliminate ideas. I've not realy heard of low oil pressure issues before tbh. was yours always good jay? Id assume if its the same pump setup and a 4efte sump amd pick up then pressure would be the same?? Im gonna guess the pressure switch on the bottom of the block is also the same then yea?

Yes Shorty the pressure switch is the same as well.

I've heard that some engines have failed on start up as well as under high load. Understandable with the high load because the 5E was never designed to rev very high unless you have the FHE.

Are the relief valves the same? This im not too sure on as they could be bleeding off pressure at different levels. Which is why some are shimmed?

ive had just about every problem imaginable with my 5e build im now on my 2nd engine running 4efte sump with 5e pickup and no washer in the relief valve, i have also ran a 1mm thick washer in the old 5e and shortly after the oil pump failed and spun all 4

ill let you know how i get on with the new setup running stock 5e pistons(new) 5e head with 4efte valve springs thick 5e rods (same as fhe) on td04l, athena 1.9mm head gasket. hoping to run 1.2/1.4 bar ive done my research and there's no real reason why it cant be done??

Dean