Heat wrapping / Pros and Cons ?

Well ive seen a few starlets and other jap cars with heat wrapping around manifold and the whole exhaust system ! Now my question is what are your pros and cons to heat wrapping or just leaving it ?

ive read a few things on line people saying it is bad some saying it adds HP?

If so where is best place to get it as there is thousands of different ones on line ? Cheers for any help !

Supposedly get better spool etc due to the increased velocity of exhaust gases, hot gases flow faster...

Car will also be quieter inside and less "Droney" as there is less vibration.

Downside are If not wrapped properly, hot spots can be created and parts can break, especially if cheap steel.

I have personally never had a problem on an N/A, But turbo cars r are a lot hotter running, so make sure its good heatwrap!

Im also looking at this just now would be good to good one big thread with loads of views on this, Also would i be able to wrap it now after its been on for over a year and has some surface rust, but its a high quality zizco set-up i have.

Thanks,

allan

I also have a zisco manifold thinking of doing my mani and full exhaust system !

What quality heat wrap can you get as there is loads online !!

Has anybody had any problems with heat wrapping?

And i have always used textile technoligies stuff, the g-force wrap on my n/a. Going for the magmawrap on the glanza. Very highly tempertature rated

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magmawrap-Exhaust-Wrap-50mm-x-1-5mm-x-30-Metres-/300646086435?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45ffe73723#ht_1499wt_1542

Edited by The Toffinator

im in the process of wrapping my hks manifold for my 4age, I've heard you get better throttle responce, but the main reason im doing mine is you reduce under bonnet temperatures as i have itb's at the back of the bay and any air going to them passes directly over the manifold.

it is a pain to do, but im getting there. got another roll on order from fensport. figured that they should have some fairly desent stuff since they mostly run turbo'd cars so should be fine for my n/a

any tips for wrapping hit up youtube aswel ;)

like soak it in water when wrapping it as it stretches when wet then shrinks and tightens when it drys

Edited by morgey

think ill have do a little bit of video watching on youtube and decide whether to do it or not ! how many meters do you think it would take to do mani decat and all exhaust etc !?

from what i understand it goes something like this...

mani off...clean it up...unroll it and throw the heat wrap in a bucket of water...scratch your noggin and decide whats the best to start the wrap and which way your going to go (all manis vary)...start wrapping tightly and use tie clips to hold it down then the metal ties when your sure youve done it right....put the mani on start the car...the amount/length of smoke/steam varies but it will eventually wear off

I've used about 7-8meters doing 2 runs on my mani, but its a lot longer than a turbo. heres a pic of mine.

unfortunately the runners are so close together you can fit the wrap between them so i had to go past it and then come back over and now I've got the uneven wrapping on the 2nd runner. but theres nothing i can do about it :/

551815_10151772101045154_1865920425_n.jpg

cheers fella

its worth getting new ones just incase they get damaged etc on removing them, and not yet im waiting on some more wrap to get delivered hopefully on thursday i think. but this is a better manifold than my old one so ther'll be a big difference between them anyway so wont be able to comment on the wrap itself im affraid

fair play mate was just reading on another forum about turbo blankets few people saying they can drop spool times by up to 250/500rpms !!

Also a few others saying that they have done it to the whole of there exhaust underneath and as with driving in rain some times it ends out just falling off and shredding so had to wrip it off !

Think i may buy all new gaskets for my mani some heat wrapping tape get it all off weld up the internal wastegate replace all gaskets and get rapping my manifold and exhaust ;) !

I used cheap ebay stuff and it's held up fine. About 30m on my Japspeed exhaust, rolled it on covering the previous roll around by 50% (see youtube videos)

Make sure you use gloves and cover sleeves/legs as the fibreglass is a bitch

Mine pops like a mofo :)

I use thermotec copper impregnated wrap at work. Use it on the wagons going to afgan.

According the the packaging it increases scavenging in the cylinders by preventing the gas from cooling down and therfore slowing down.

I can second that when fitting this stuff its itchy as hell and not nice stuff to work with. Also don't soak the wrap, it will go brittle when its cured and snap. Also best to use lock wire to secure it at equal intervals.

One of the cons Is its expensive, one of the pro's it works. Probably better for N/A engines or wrapping after the turbo. The turbine in the turbo will slow the exhaust gasses anyway.