uprated actuater

ive been doin alot of readin recenly on the fte and one of the things i keep coming across is an uprated actuater.

aparently the standard one is gash!!

can anyone tell me what is the purpose of an actuater and why would i need to uprate mine?

The actuator is connected to the wategate. The reason people uprate them is the old actuator spring can be worn, and when you're upping the boost the old actuator may not be able to hold that boost.

The HKS adjustable actuator is as it sounds. You can adjust the arm length (pretty sure it's the length) so the wastegate opens at different boost pressures.

You can also get non adjustable actuators that are car specific that increases the pressure at which the wastegate opens.

lol aye

thanx for the help people

im totely new to this and knownext to f*ck all about turbo cars.

so the actuater controls boost? i thought a boost controler did that?

also is a waistgate another ame for bov?

The wastegate is there to protect your turbo (and engine) It's basically a release for excess exhaust gases which will otherwise cause your turbo to constantly boost until it blows up. (Ie if you weld your wastegate shut your turbo would boost until the compressor wheel becomes inefficient or an engine component gives up.)

A boost controller stops the actuator "seeing" any boost until your chosen boost pressure is reached, therefore an actuator set to open the wastegate at 9psi will see 0psi until the boost controller reaches the desired level (say 15psi) - Onced reached the actuator spring compresses fully and the wastegate opens venting the exhaust gas back into the exhaust.

You get differnet types of boost controllers, some of which bleed pressure away from the actuator causing a gradual increase in boost, others which are more abrubt in action and open only once your desired boost level is reached. Electronic Boost controllers use electronic solenoids to do essentially the same thing (but have advantages of multiple settings that can be changed from the cockpit etc)

The BOV is there to stop the air rushing back through the turbo caused by the pressure change when you lift off the accelerator. This stops the turbo from stalling. The BOV vents the pressurised air to atmosphere instead ptshhhh:D

The air rushing back through the compressor blades can damage the turbo but makes the cool fluttering noise out the air filter that everyone likes!

Turbo cars generally come with a recirculating BOV as standard. Manufacturers do this to reduce the noise (they obviously think it isn't cool :angry: ) and to reduce the loss of un-metered air. (ie air that is being vented to atmosphere but the ECU still thinks is there)