Clutch biting point changes constantly

I've had the car for over a year now and the guy that sold it to me said that the clutch needed replacing but after testing it I found that it bites high and doesnt slip so I just continued to use it the way it is. All was fine until two days ago when the clutch biting point decided it would be literally just off the floor :S and then changed each time. I had a quick look under the bonnet and the plug for the lambda probe seemed to be restricting the movement of the slave cylinder. Or so I thought, after relocating the plug, the clutch still is the same :(. Just ordered a new clutch as it needs one nonetheless but Im not convinced its gonna be to do with the clutch itself, anyone experienced this problem before??

Just got a standard exedy clutch mike. I will bleed it too when I change it. Just hope the bloody thing turns up this week before iI go back to work :S. I dont have any fluid either which sucks as I used it all doing my brakes not long ago :(. Il do it all in one hit I think :)

New clutch turned up today, bought 3 litres of gearbox oil to be safe and also a litre of brake fluid to bleed the clutch and also ordered a new slave cylinder today which should arrive friday and then fitting all on Saturday.

Think I've covered myself on every angle :)

Well, fitted a new clutch and bled the system now seems okay but we will see in a week or so :)

Also are my discs considered to be the right way round?? as a guy at work said they were'nt and now Im confused lol

Edited by jtaylor1990

Well I first got the slave cylinder changed and it was fine for a little bit then it started again so had the clutch done then fine again then went totally like you said biting point just off the floor (lack of pressure) . Would defiantly get the master clutch clyinder changed

• 3 weeks later...

Well ordered a master cylinder, stripped the old one off the car and went to fit new one and realised it was completely different, phoned the supplier and turns out their entire batch were boxed wrong, went to refit the old one and when I tried to bleed the clutch it wouldnt bleed at all :( so stuck without a car for the last two days, should turn up tomorrow so Il fit it soon as I get in from work and we will see if that works

• 1 month later...

I have got the same problem that my master cylinder is loosing the pressure. I took a quick look today, but couldn't locate master cylinder bolts from inside. Should I remove dash panels or is it accessible just by laying in footwell?

Hi Jay,

It is accessible from just laying in the footwell, I took out my driver seat as was only 4 x 14mm bolts thengives u the chance to lay down and look at it upside-down lol. I used a deep 12mm socket with wobbly drive 3/8 extension(s) and ratchet. Just make sure you spray up the thread of the fluid line going into the master cylinder and crack it off first as its much more difficult trying to do it with a loose master cylinder believe me. best way to get the line off is to lay under the car with the O/S/F of the car jacked up and your arm can stretch straight up :). Just make sure u have spare brake fluid to hand as I ran out so had to wait till I got back from work the following day. Any problems just let me know :)

Josh

• 2 weeks later...