Removing power steering in ep91 Glanza. Advice needed

I want to remove the power steering from my ep91 Glanza so I will have to change the steering rack? Any starlets 96-99 in the scrapyard all had power steering racks. What steering rack can I use?

Browner

If the column is changed you will need to figuge out how to swap the ignition barrels which are fixed by special screws that's heads snap off once they are tight. Also if the column is swapped the indicator stalks could need swapping as the bracket that holds them is welded to the column in turn the plugs are different beteen the different versions of indicators and after that there is 3 different types of plastics that surrond the indicator stalks.

Have fun mate!

Iddy has done this. Seen it in his build thread on the demo glanza. Also pretty sure its an mot fail if you have a pas rack but without the reservoir, pipes fitted and working? Not 100% on that though.

. Also pretty sure its an mot fail if you have a pas rack but without the reservoir, pipes fitted and working? Not 100% on that though.

You are correct, but what garage actually checks if there aint no bottle or pipes then they wont notice 3" of pipe looped over, plus i have a friendly mot tester ;) haha

The sheared bolts on the ignition barrel are no problem I always take them off with a hammer and chisel or a flathead until they start turning. MOT is no problem I live in Ireland you can get away with a lot over here compared to the UK lol. Anyone know exactly what's involved and what's needed to do this successfully?

i have done this and it's pretty easy, make sure you leave some fluid in the rack. loop the powersteering to inlet manifold vacuum.

also loop the power steering fluid in and out , i cut the steel pipe because you cant just take off the rubber pipe. they are next to each other so its not a big loop.

all is left is to rip the pump and the rest out.

your steering will be a lot heavier when stationary and under load, but you will get used to it. some people dont like. these people most of time driver power steering cars and find it a pain.

Edited by 5T4R7ET N/A
  • 1 year later...

Does the starlet 4efe ps rack fit a glanza with ps?

Had a wheel bearing lock up on me and my wheels ended up facing different directions :/ my right wheel is toed in :/ had a good look underneath and the chassis looks ok and the wishbones, steering arms and drive shafts all look unbent. The fact the top of the wheel is more in the arch than the bottom of the wheel thinking my suspension strut is bent:/ but why else would my wheels be facing different ways? Something in the steering rack?

Thanks,

Brendon