Hi, all.

I have been offered a damaged car basically for free. It has a small side impact but has been classed as a Cat C write off. Now I know nothing about this, but I don't have much time to research it all.

If I was to take the car, I assume it pushes the insurance up, if they insure it at all? I have to get it Re-MOT'd I assume.

Is it possible to take the car and actually be able to drive it legally. The damage is only exterior rear panel. It drives fine. It'sa actually a great car otherwise, I could do with it.

Thanks.

Ye you have to go for a Vic check which just checks all numbers on car etc to check its identity. Once this is done you will get sent the log book, costs under 50 quid IIRC.

They don't really bother checking quality of repair I thought?

Most of my cars before now have been write offs as we used to buy and sell them, never affected my insurance

Dan

It cost me £40 to have my last 306 dturbo Vic. It had been written off for a cost £2100. I straightened the tailgate, replaced the bumper and rear lightd and that was it cost me £140. It doesnt affect insurance as me and my.mate have both run d/r cars.

When selling your only obliged to tell them if its been damaged if they ask but with thingd like text checks its better just to say!

John

I insure a CatC repair for cheaper before as the overall value of the car is less. SO it wont be any more expensive. And the above are right for VIC check etc. They will check repair just to make sure you haven't cut and shut it etc.

When i baught a gt as my doner car i was gonna potter about in it it wasa cat D that was repaired when i got it, i changed the insurance over from a glanza i just sold, mot'd it that day vic check the next day then an hour or so later my insurance called to say it wasnt insured due to being a cat D they cldnt cover it. I tried a few other places and got the same so ended up breaking it.

Thanks guys. But, who is "they"? Would that be the MOT place, or the insurance company or what who check it after it's been repaired? Then I get the VIC from them which enables me to insure it?

And to clarify, people here have insured Cat C write off cars?