What would you do? (possible 6 points)

I would never intentionally drive my car without insurance, I agree that is stupid. When the bank didnt pay my DD I thought they did because it came up on my statement online, so I thought it was cleared. I had a letter from the insurance company stating that the DD wasn't paid and if it wasn't, the insurance would be cancelled, but didn't say when, by law they have to give you 7 days notice. By this time I didn't have the money for the insurance because the bank started using that money for Charges that I shouldent of even been charged for, however that is all refunded now. Anyway I got the letter yesterday from elephant saying that my car insurance was cancelled on the 20/7 and the date on the letter was the 23/7 and I received that letter on the 26/7 so I don't know how I was supposed to know I was driving around without insurance and the accident happened while I was uninsured. And as for lying in court, I never said that I would. If It went to court I would never lie, I'm just trying to weigh up my options as I'm panicking like fuck as I can't afford any way out of this, I can't afford my insurance as it is, so fuck knows how I'll be able to afford it after going back to a provisional etc etc. I've been looking for a second job for a while.

Right, well you say you have the money to carry on paying your insurance so

you got the letter yesterday (26/7). So you call you insurance and say

"Hello, I recieved your letter dated 23/7 yesterday. Saying that my policy had been cancelled due to non payment. this was due to a mess up by my bank. here are my card details can i make the payment now and can you backdate the policy to 20/7 and allow it to continue as it was. (here are new details if neccassary for payments).

Also I am unhappy with the delay, so could you please put a note on my account to call me if there are any future problems.

Thanks. Have a nice day"

Then we get on with our lives and try not to drive into things.

If he claims on your insurance, then im afraid thats how it is. Shit happens, thats what insurance is for. dont follow too closely and watch whats going on.

Edited by TrisK

I tried that, I rang them as soon as I got the letter yesterday to try and pay them, and they can't backdate it anyway, it will just be put down as a break in the insurance during that period. And also I can't resume my policy with them anyway because it's cancelled, I can only pay the remaining amount of £1,600 odd.

And tbh mate I'm not going to get into an argument, yes shit does happen. I lost concerntration I wasn't being a dick. I wasn't following too closely to him I just wasnt thinking, it was an accident, accidents happen, yes that's what's insurance is for. However I was unaware that I was uninsured, I have tried to sort that our with the insurance and that got nowhere. So I'm asking for advice, I'm not trying to drive it out at all. If I get 6 points and have to start again well then that's my fault but I'm just weighing the options up that I have at the moment if I have any.

you can resume your policy

if the person on the phone cant do it ask to speak to her manager.

explain that its not your fault, you only recieved the letter yesterday

(and you didnt respond to the first letter as you could see it going through on their bank statements).

just act reasonable and assertive. repeat that it was a mistake by the bank not you. and the insurance will be able to do whatever they want.

If an insurance company have the oppurtunity not to pay out then they will take it. So you can kiss goodbye to your insurance covering you for this. You may be able to hold your bank responsible however. Also i said nothing about lying in court which is a serious matter. I said should they come to you and say you hit our employees car then you play dumb. It would never in a million years end up in court. You think a large company would waste their time and money going to court over a bloody bumper lol. Play it out see if they even get in contact then worry about it when it comes to it.

People should stop giving him a hard time about the insureance. The heading of the topic is what would you? Clearly he had insurance and it was null and void by no fault of his own.

He asked what he should do in this situation that hes unfortunately found himself in the last thing he needs is moral lectures off people. Obviously he knows he needs insurance which he did have.

Personally like ive said buddy wing it and see what happens you could get lucky and what Zoe said might happen you just never know.

Cheers stu :) at least someone understands, I'm feeling shit enough about it as it is :/ but yeah I'm going to ignore it for now and get some more insurance, but I've found out that they can claim against me at pretty much anytime, so even in two years I could get the 6 points, say like when his lease car goes back in, and they notice it, I could be prosecuted then, aw well. Thanks for everyones advice :)! I'll let you know what happens in the future

He asked what he should do in this situation that hes unfortunately found himself in the last thing he needs is moral lectures off people. Obviously he knows he needs insurance which he did have.

What he should have done is rewind back to when he got the first letter about anything from his insurance company

and sorted it all out

edit and probably not driven into the back of anyone

U-Mad-Bro.jpg

Edited by TrisK

Right forget about the insurance not being valid for a moment, when it was cancelled, what he should have done etc etc (which will not only cost you in points, a fine, court fees and the repair bill for his car).

If you have a copy of your bank statement showing it going out so you thought it was paid, plus a copy of the letters from the insurance plus when they arrived you might be able to get the number of points reduced by turning up in court, pleading your case and pointing out how you need to drive to be able to work etc etc. Just make sure you are totally honest with them

Thanks hou I'll try and get as much of it I can together ready for when or of it happens :) which I probably will end up happening :/

Trisk, I'm not even going to get into an argument with you, the amount of times I've said I know I'm in the wrong, i can't change what I've done, and it was an accident going into the back of someone I'm sure a lot of people on here have had accidents. They are accidents.

I didn't go into the back of someone on purpose. If i started a thread saying ohh my god!! ohh my god!! i went into the back of someone, fair enough, i started up this thread to ask about the 6 points. But then again theres always one :) Thanks for everyone that helped :) I'll let you know what happens in the future :)

i just wanna add in about my friend he got his car stolen let everyone know insurance police ect, but had on his policy he could drive other cars third party ect, he had access to other cars and asked the insurance policy to keep the policy going till he got another car or paid out they said they would. a week later he got a letter dated 6 days before that the policy was canceled so if he had got in a car he would have been driving un insured i thnk insurance compinys are sneaky as fcuk. i do as well feel sorry for you for your predicament but i know alot of big companys are self insuring which means if you offered to pay they might accept "/

• 2 weeks later...

Had a letter through today about the claim, my insurance company said there not covering me for the accident. So I took all my documents and letters down to the police station to let them know, and basicly they Said at the time it was a genuine mistake and I was complying with the law because I thought I had insurance and the insurance company didn't let me know. However, it is now in the hands of the insurance companies to settle the claim between themselves, failing that the police will be involved and then it will go to court, but because I went to the station today they said it looks good on me for going in and also because I was within the law at the time it's up to the court to decide. And also as soon as I found it it was uninsured I sorned the vehicle which also looks good on my behalf. So basicly I did everything legally and I was within the law at the time so we shall have to see what happens if it goes to court