using a dta ecu questions

decided an s60 would be my best option so purchased one. will be on a forged 5e running coil on plug but i have no idea what sensors are actualy needed or advised to be used to get this up and running and if i can use any of the oem sensors?. and if not can i just buy generic sensors or do they have to be dta ones to work?

with regards to running coil on plug i think civic type r coils will be best bet and as i understand ill need to get a trigger wheel and crank sensor fitted again can i just use any generic trigger wheel and crank sensor if this is the case is there any advantages to how many teeth the wheel has as there seems to be alot of options? lastly is this all thats needed for the coil on plug?

cheers shaun

Oem sensors should work. Will need to calibrate the sensors to the ecu. I would change the iat sensor to an fast reaction open element one. You should be able to run the coil packs fine off just a trigger wheel on the crank. Not sure if the DTA needs a cam sensor to run the coils sequentially do you can use nos if needed.

iat? is that intake air temp? or am i being stupid :p ill have browse see if i can find out about the cam sensor. i was tempted to pick up a nos kit but for right now i think i should just focus on actualy getting more important parts :p

I think my Iat sensor was from a rover k series. I'm pretty sure If you want sequencial injection a cam sensor will be needed. My distributor is completely gone. There's no need to spend a fortune on fancy cop. I know a guy running 580bhp in a corsa with the stock vauxhall coilpack. So that's what I got for mine. I've the s80 unit.

• 2 months later...

I'm using a TpS from a k20 as that's what throttle body I'm using. Get a better ait like grant said. Im using a vw crank sensor but there all similar. I can't remember the trigger wheel I got now.

I got an adapter plate made that bolts to my acis inlet then its drilled and tapped for the k20 throttlebody. Then both were ported out to the size of the tb. can't remember much about the cam sensor as it was ages ago when I looked into it. Running sequencial injection won't gain much more power but should increase mpg a little I think.

You only need a cam signal if your tuning your coils in sequential mode. I suspect you will be doing this as it gives the coils more charge time. Your best bet for a cam sensor is use the single touth wheel in the original engine speed pick up.

Stock distributor gives signals for both crank and cam position.

If your ecu can use VR sensors, then it could read of the stock distributor. Else, you may need an VR to hall-type adapter.

You can run coils with only the crank signal, but not sequential.

crank sensor ill go for sure id like to run squentially but ill be honest am abit lost on the cam sensor and how to make it work with the stock dizzy would it be something along the lines of choping it up and mixing it with another cars cam sensor like rob h done? http://www.ukstarletowners.com/index.php?showtopic=53321

You will need for sure a sync signal (= cam signal) for sequential injection and ignition.

Best is to use custom hall-effect crank and cam sensors.

Crank is easy, just a disc on the stock pulley.

Cam could be done using a stock distributor, cut and modified to use the hall sensor.

A guy here with a turbo 4efe has done it i think, running AEM and COPs.