oil cooler question ?....

I have just fitted a Mocal oil cooler to my starlet (with relocated filter and thermo in sandwhice plate) And was just curious as to wether the the thermostat has to open before the oil wil circulate and be filtered? Al;so when refilling it with oil what happens when the thermostat opens and oil fills the cooler and pipework will this cause a massive pressure drop( apparently the oil cooler + piping adds extra 1.5 litre oil capacity)? Hopefully someone can answer these questions as im quite curious to know the answers haha. cheers

No i havnt mounted it up properly yet, have left it til i got an answer here. How would you personally do that ? Already lost one engine to low oil pressure.... I will also have a closer look at the thermo, if it does allow a small amount of flow, would just cracnking the engine a few times be enough (IE priming turbo?)

CHeers bud!

Can I ask why you've gone for an oil cooler?

I wouldn't add an extra 1.5 litres of oil. Fill the sump up with the correct amount of oil then on first start up crank it a few times to get the oil around. Too much oil will cause high pressure, will likely blow the crank seals and will also create a lot of drag on the crank reducing your power.

The thermostat kit sends the oil from filter to engine when cold, and when it gets hot it sends it from filter to cooler to engine.

Fill the engine with oil, so it reaches the mark on the pin. Take it around, kick it, so you are sure the thermostat has opened and filled the cooler. Remember to prefill the cooler, else you get air instead of oil into the engine when thermostat opens.

Let it cool down for an hour, check the oil and refill.

I fill my oil cooler full of oil (messy job) and fill my engine oil as normal.

Crank the engine over a few times, check engine oil level.

Take the car out an get the oil hot enough for the thermostat to open the oil cooler (mines 70deg c)

let the car cool down and check the level again.

When it comes to an oil drain, you will have to drain the oil cooler separately to the engine as the stat will be closed (again a messy job, but has to be done)

Cheers for the answers guys muchly appreciated, Will get her filled up with oil tomoz and hopefully she will start..Its only been a year or so haha. And as for why the oil cooler Adam, she gets a hard life, couple times on track i've had to take a breather due to worryingly high oil temps... This is the 2nd engine my GT has had so really dont want to take any chances anymore!

Thyanks again guys,

Kris

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask why you've gone for an oil cooler?

I wouldn't add an extra 1.5 litres of oil. Fill the sump up with the correct amount of oil then on first start up crank it a few times to get the oil around. Too much oil will cause high pressure, will likely blow the crank seals and will also create a lot of drag on the crank reducing your power.

Too much oil does not cause high oil pressure as its a mechanical pressure relief valve that opens at a set pressure. Too much oil will cause low oil pressure as the crank whisks up the oil making if frothy, once the oil is full of bubbles it can not be compressed by the pump the same, causing low oil pressure.