Wastegate spring query EDIT: boost controller setup help, page 2

Currently I have a 0.6 bar spring in my wastegate; although when running spring pressure it seems to peak at 0.4) but I'm currently using a manual boost tee to run bar and I notice my screamer starts to come in earlier than 1 bar, yet when using my Ebc the screamer opens at almost peak boost and sounds better, but I'm not using the Ebc as it won't learn properly.

My question is if I run a 1 bar spring will this open the wastegate at near enough a bar or will it still come in at lower boost?

Cheers

Edited by A L 3 X

You will be having some pressure drop through the intercooler system, double check all your pipes etc for a start and make sure all clamps are tight.

It is normal for some setups to boost slightly lower than the spring rating, although not by as much as you have quoted.

ie, a 1bar spring normally runs from 0.9 - 1bar.

Cheers

Mike Jones

Tuning Developments Ltd

i think the best way is to use the EBC.

if you consider it this way with springs, the rating is it takes that much pressure to fully compress the spring, so the spring will start to slightly compress before that, opening the screamer slightly.

with the MBC it bleeds off x% of the pressure, so it still opens the spring slightly meaning the screamer comes in early as the springs compresses slightly

with the EBC it reads the amount of boost, and if its under the limit bleed it all off, then if its over the limit it flows that pressure the wastegate (which is now over spring pressure and therefore snaps the spring open), when the limit gets below desired pressure it bleeds it all off again mean the spring snaps shut

meaning no halfway open bit.

or that was how i always interpretted how they work, im sure somebody will correct me if im wrong

does that make sense?

Edited by TrisK

Mike, They are all tight mate but ever since I fitted the external it's been like that, it's not like it even spikes it just peaks at 0.4 :/

And tris, I can't use the Ebc mate it

Won't seem to learn, spikes and now won't even boost how I set it :/

What EBC is it? Most learning modes on EBC's are shit and don't work.

Is your external gate spring second hand? Don't forget they do become weak over time. What external gate is it? Is it a genuine copy?

I don't like any of the supposed "self learning" modes on EBC's. I've never been able to get it to work properly even on a AVCR.

Are you sure theres no leaks mate? Might be worth making a little pressure tester to just make sure, they come in very handy and are pretty cheap to make.

Mine goes from 'com' port on solenoid to top port on wastegate then from 'nc' port on solenoid to a t-piece which splits to the bottom port of the wastegate and the turbo (could also tee to inlet mani). 'no' port must be left open to atmosphere as a vent, this is with a profec b spec 2 other controllers may have different port names.

Well from that picture above^^ you have it plumbed in wrong according to this: http://www.fd3s.net/profec_install.html

Only 2 out of the 3 ports on the solenoid should be used

like this: http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz177/conceptuatuning/Gizzmo%20Stuffs/Gizzmoexternalwastegatesetup.jpg

Mine goes from 'com' port on solenoid to top port on wastegate then from 'nc' port on solenoid to a t-piece which splits to the bottom port of the wastegate and the turbo (could also tee to inlet mani). 'no' port must be left open to atmosphere as a vent, this is with a profec b spec 2 other controllers may have different port names.

Oh? I'm confused now? Could someone maybe tell me from them instructions which port goes where as I'm confused

There's a port on the back for bleeding off I've left open, but other 3 were connected

bottom port goes to tubby, right port goes to bottom of wastegate with a vaccum T (vaccum that see's boost and vaccum) and left goes to top of wastegate<<<< how you have it looks right just not sure where your vaccum goes as its hard to see

Have you sewt the click switches on the back according to your setup? they are in the link i posted

There is a pipe from the inlet mani that tees off, one to boost controller as you said and one to the side port of wastegate.

I've kinda got it sorted anyway, but it's like with the controller set on 1 bar I get 0.8 bar, and at 1.2 bar I get 0.95 to 1 bar, reckon ill try a 0.8 spring and then if not get a better Ebc?

Explain the second bit again lol?

Erm and its just a cheap one ATM until next month, I'm assuming the spike over is the fact the controller is holding the wastegate closed longer than the boost tee did and so the gauge can't react quick bough as the Ebc gauge doesn't show a spike.

I think the gauge is accurate though as the gauge with my old ecu used to read 0.8 bar but if I turned it up any more it would fuel cut indicating 0.85 was reached?

Think I'm gonna get one of those depo stepper motor boost gauges with the manual and digital readout in the corner of they're any good?

Yeah it could be the fact that the gauge isnt as good as the EBC.

fuel cut is also different car dependant could give minor room for error

Yes ive heard good reviews! any good brand will be fine defi,hks,apexi, blitz, greddy, stiri. ive seen the cheap prosport and autogauges give poor readings.

Once you have a good gauge in id go off that and aslong as the gauge is holding the pressure you want then the EBC will be setuup correctly