good starter welding kit

would realy like to take up welding for the odd brackets and such for my car but dont want to sink a pile of money into a welder to barely use. anyone picked up good mig welders for a nice price? or any tips of welders to avoid?

cheers shaun

aye i have a talent for making this build take longer than i planed :p thats the plan if i can find a good cheap welder i can just practise will only be for little bits and bobs on the car but think it would be realy handy.

That's just the sort of thing you want to get. Best to go for a sip or clack some thing branded ideally. They are good welders for hobby use. Even the gas-less ones do a good job. But then your limited to what wire you can use and the wire is pricey.

For thin panel steel a mig is probably better as it doesn't push so much heat into the steel and you can spot weld quite easily. Not sure what you guys have over there in the way of for sale websites but you should be able to pick up a small machine fairly cheaply. Avoid gasless welding like the plague and I'd suggest using Argoshield gas which will give you a nicer weld than CO2 but is slightly more expensive. Those disposable bottles are ok for really small work but dissapear very quickly if your laying down longer welds that require more flow - probably best to get a small D size bottle on rental.

Brand wise my machines are Unimig and Lincoln Electric. My ACDC tig is a Lincoln inverter 205amp and I've used alot of different machines over the years and its by far the best. For home/garage work I'd try and pick up a second hand good name machine rather than the cheaper new chinese stuff as the quality just isn't there.

Another option is just hiring a machine which can actually work out to be a cost effective way of doing things - get all your plates etc ready then hire a welder for a weekend?

steer clear of sip hobby migs they are shite. the wire feeds fail on them and the speed controller is pretty much non existant.

if you just want something to do a few welds and just dick about with go for something like a clarke 160en they are a little more expensive but are good value for money.

id go for a gas welder to although most clarke welders allow you to use bot tyoes of wire.m

• 1 year later...

Tig is beast, but your just starting out so I wouldnt recommend that at all! Gas/gasless mig is a good starter. I prefer stick welding but thats because I was taught on one lol. Mig welding is piss easy too! You can get a sealey mig for decent money and they are a cracker welder