4paw owners help needed

hey guys tempted by a 4paw again but wanting to get peoples option who actauly own them id be looking to run 350+bhp forged 5e, standalone ecu blah blah blah. anyone got any input or advise? i gota few questions aswell

1.what parts are the same in the drivetrain between the ep91 and 95?( gearbox internals,driveshafts,cv joints??)

2.whats the most power ran on a 4paw?

3.what parts are not readily avalible for the 4paw

4.what parts have people broke?

5.whats the gear ratio like? how short is first actauly?

6.how well suited is the 4paw for drag racing?

7.what would be the top speed roughly

8.what aftermarket parts are there for the 4paw? (anti-lift kits,front arb,rear arb,panhard rod,poly bushes?)

any help be great

cheers shaun

hey mate ive owned and sold a 4paw and regret it 2bh. ile try to answer your questions.

1. i had a facelift ep95 and as far as im aware you can swap the gears from the ep91 into the 95 box but as to how much custom work would be required i dont know

2. theres a few 4paw's that have run over 300bhp and have been abused on both track and strip with no worries. the boxes are very strong and have same clunky solid feel to them as the starlet turbos do

3. i was told by toyota themselves that everything is still available for the ep95 but certain ep85 parts are now discontinued. however any new parts would need to come from belgium so may be expensive.

4. none as far as im aware lol

5. gears are close together. even with stock engine it flies through them and sitting at 70 on motorway your revving at like nearly 5k. so with forged and big turbo power acceleration would be brutal

6. 4paws arent rly suited as such to drag racing more or less than any other car. they certainly set quicker times than their fwd counterparts due to the traction in 1st/2nd and the shorter ratios

7. top speed 120/130ish maybe a little more is achievable with a higher rev limit. and i THINK the 5th gear cog from certain diesel yaris's fit in there to up the top speed but dont quote me on that.

8. not sure on details on this one i would say things like ARB's etc need modification as the underbelly on a 4 paw is gonna be quite different its the same for exhausts - big brake kits bolt straight up, and coilovers need to be customised either buy the 4paw custom ones from meister which i had on mine and they are excellent, or if your handy with doing the work yourself you can modify normal glanza coilies to fit. you just need to allow them to drop lower for the back end.

hope this all helps a bit

Edited by richglanzav

Rear end is totaly different to ep91 so no mods are transferable front end is basicaly the same but with under bars (arb's, braces etc) you jave to remeber that tyeres a transfer box to think off so they wont always fit.

The weakest part is the viscous coupling in the 4wd system. i know of only one that died so far and that was wear and tear of the car not power.

The gears are shit! Yes it accelerates like a mofo but they top out at 130 and scream their tits off! 91/82 gears in the box dont realy make a difference as they are the same gear sets its the final drive thats different. yes a yaris one from the right model can be fitted cost i cant confirm but it will give in theory a top end of 170!! No ones done it yet though (mine is getting done next year)

Im confident mine will happily take the 350ish that im gonna abuse through it and have heard rumors gaz's ran a tad more and he wasnt that soft on the loud pedal lol.

Is it a drag ca? no, is any starlet? No. can it be made to drag well? Yes. as with any starlet mate you put the right money and mods in it and it will drag like a beast. but why get all that grip and drive in straight lines? If i where a drag guy id have the lightest thing i could and bang twin engines in lol twin 5e'd ep91 4wd running 600hp (2x300hp 5e's) id say that will drag like a monster!!

Ask away mate ;) is always more being learned by all the 4paw owners. credit goes to enzo tbh as he has probably discovered the most info on em. have a good read through the 4paw section threads too as theres alot of info in there :)

the main reason i want a 4paw is grip as most people that have been to ma house will vouch roads around me arent for the faint hearted so thats why my hearts been set on one for ages but with the drag strip being the closest events that are ran id like it to hold its own at them aswell. speaking to weejohn and such it looks like changing out first for a gt first is a worthwhile plan and the yaris final drive will make sure i dont run outta gears on the strip. going for the 4paw if i can get my hands on one so we shall see lol