ffs ;)

my car just failed its mot on emmissions due to the guy who regestered it regestered it as needing a cat test for mot. which there is no way around it. i would like to know if anyone else with a 98 passes with no cat?

so it failed on:

Co level: 0.62% max is 0.50%

Hc level: 231ppm max is 200

apparently the hydrocarbons level (hc) can only be caused by a engine problem is this true? any known faults??

if its not one thing its the other!

ffs ;)

my car just failed its mot on emmissions due to the guy who regestered it regestered it as needing a cat test for mot. which there is no way around it. i would like to know if anyone else with a 98 passes with no cat?

so it failed on:

Co level: 0.62% max is 0.50%

Hc level: 231ppm max is 200

apparently the hydrocarbons level (hc) can only be caused by a engine problem is this true? any known faults??

if its not one thing its the other!

Registered it as needing a cat ??

NO starlet turbo needs a catalyst. Unless its registered as a ukspec 1.3 n/a matey.

Take it to another test centre, ideally one who mot mainly jap cars... You should never fail emissions on a 4efte unless its running mega fuelling.

They must have assumed its a uk spec which needs a cat.

no, i made the garage check with the mot centre (i know the guy) and he said that the 4efte starlet import didnt need a cat test.

but when it was being tested he put in the regestration and it came up as a required cat test... which cannot be overided apparently?!?!

so pissed off. as f*cking usual im having no luck with the car. apparently its possibly got a sticking valve, as one cylinder isnt giving an efficient burn. which would also explain my constant suspision of it being down on power.

does anyone know of any common problems on fte's that can cause this?

im getting totally sick of this.

As rob said rich, Get onto the dvla and say they have made a mistake.

Say they dont come with a catalyst as standard, they wont know if they do or not.

So say how can it be cat tested when there not made with them in japland.

GONKS ;)

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
i feel for u too dude! my tester didnt even put the pipe up the exuats,he reved it 3 timeds and we sat and had a coffee for 30 mins lol!

Hmmm if someone from the ministry of mot is on here and finds your reg and finds out what garage has done your mot,im sure that lad will get shot in the back!