in a position with a forged?? engine

Hi

im in a situation with a forged engine i was going to be buying it for parts as the guy assures me it has forged pistons an Athena headbasket and arp headbolts which is all i need to complete my forged build but..........

And its a big but, its freshly built but when the guy built it put in non turbo shells for some stupid reason also he says his dad when building the engine couldn't fit the oil ring on piston 3 so decided to cut a few millimeters off the oil ring what a retard

my boss who has 30 years experience building engines tells me because the oil ring is cut the piston will most likely will be fucked but what im paying for the engine it won't be worth it just for the arp headbolts and Athena headgasket as he only put in steel rods when he built the engine,

I know the guy who built the engine knows absolutely nothing about building an engine and why he did what he did is anyones guess but does anyone know whether my boss is right or is it possible the piston will be fine ?

Any help or advise guys as im a bit stuck

cheers

As said mate you should not ever re use a head gasket regardless.

Also you have to ask yourself why the piston ring did not fit in the 1st place.

Whether the engine was run or not has alot to do with whether the piston will be fucked or not. If it was run with a fucked piston ring chances are the piston will be damaged aswell if it was never ran im sure it will be fine.

Personally sounds like an accident waiting to happen. If he knows so little about engineb building and took it upon himself to do this work theres a good chance other things will be damaged he could have over tightened the head bolts or anything.

Just walk away mate will be doing yourself a favour and saving lots of hassle.

if its cheap id take it, piston is unlikly to be damaged just because of a oil ring! its called capping the rings to the right clearance in most cases so how will it effect the piston? by the sounds of what he done it will just be an oil burner of an engine so your going to rebuild it anyways plus rings are easy got from the maker

Edited by starletburkie

I said above if the engine was never ran the pistons will more than likely be ok.

But if its been run with a damaged ring then the piston could also be damged in many ways.

Also thats what he knows about the builder was clearly not a competant mechanic so I wouldn't want to invest my money in something that might only be fit for the bin.

Yes but what im saying is. There is no garuntee the pistons are ok.

If the engine has been turned over and ran the chances are pistons are damaged.

Plus if he doesnt know how to fit a piston ring and has no mechanical experience then whos to say that every part he has pitted could be damaged.

You say you need it for the pistons, bolts and gasket.

The gasket can be taken out the question because re using one no matter how new is asking for trouble because if a head has been tightened down onto it then its no good.

The bolts.... what if he didnt torque them when fitting them they also could be damaged or stretched plus if they are used I wouldnt bother no matter what the quality.

So that leave you with the pistons they could be fine which would be useful. At the same time they could have all the problems mentioned due to him not fitting a ring correctly. Plus is he used steel rods he must have fitted the pins whos to say they werent forced in wrongly.

I just think the only usable part from the engine would be the pistons its not worth the risk/hassle just for cheap pistons.

mate above is right my rings crack did not no it happen in the end in will burn the piston out mine melted :thumbsup: then i had to go forged do not buy them had to be something up with it rings come with the piston when you buy them so had no need to cut

na craig I asked him about splitting the block and politely got told bollox but he has said they are defo forged and if not he will refund me but basically the refund is only for that reason not if the pistons are shagged

The piston will be fine. There is nothing wrong with grinding a piston ring to get the correct ring gap! Normally rings are pretty much spot on in terms of ring gap, but it is quite common to have to grind the ring to get the correct clearence.

Depending how cheap it is, its worth a punt at tbh. Even if you split it for parts. Or if you have mechanical experience then rebuild it yourself.

And using Non turbo bearing shells is fine, the 4EFE and 4EFTE cranks are the same. Although I would be using ACL bearings.

tell me how much your paying for it and i wil let you know if its worth a punt
, at the very minimum you could split it and sell for parts

head £80 - £100

Block - £30 - £50

Crank - £80 - £100

Pistons - £300

Rods £250

So thats a minimum of £750 if its all ok in parts, maybe more. Pistons you can buy individually as well as rods if one is fooked, if the engine is shagged and he wont let you split it you have to assume somthing is wrong, i wouldnt pay any more than £300 for it but certainly worth a punt if you want to build your own on the cheap :)

Edited by Taggy