Horrible knock through pedals

Started about a week ago, only very faint when backing off the throttle, seemed ok during harder acceleration but has got progressively worse! Most noticeable at around 2500/3000 rpm present in all gears, was stopping when clutch applied but now pretty much non stop.....don't think it's an engine knock because only present when moving? Could it be drive shaft related? Nothing to do with steering or braking and is starting to sound expensive.....any ideas would be gratefully received?

Check your ball joints, track rods and engine mounts,

Best thing to do is get the car on a ramp and inspect all the nuts and bolts at the bottom,

If it has got worse over time i would suggest something has come loose check it befor it gets any worse.

Should be getting underneath this evening I know I shouldn't really keep driving but it's also my daily and I'm stuck without it! Was hoping someone else may have had a similar problem, there is a speed bump on the way into the farm I work on that the car mates with nearly every morning...possibility I've either bent or moved something going over that?

Many things can cause it to knock and many people have had knocking issues here most common things are what i mentioned earlier.

A good inspection will find the fault.

If you can feel it through the pedals it could be something knocking the clutch or clutch system

I had a horrible knock thru my pedals under acceleration before i put a poly rear mount in, the engine was knocking the clutch master cylinder (issue with my engine swap) n it fell horrible thru all the pedals. Id check for movement in the clutch arm maybe the thrust bearing is fairly shot. This would transfer through the hydralics into the pedal, this is however quite unlikely and more likely something else but worth a look if you run out of ideas :)

Christ I'm gonna have my work cut out finding the origins of this bloody noise.....hopefully ill find something hanging off rather than having to take the cu*nting thing to bits lol....thanks again people ill let you know what I find!

You wont buddy. Jack the each front wheel up and make sure the steering lock is off. Give the wheel a right good wiggle hands on the side then top and bottom and feel for play.

Then just use a pry bar to find play in other things.

Shouldnt take longer then 15 min if you are doing it on the deck or 5 min if you do it on a ramp.

Ok so by a process of elimination I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the driveshaft being knackered! It sounded fucking awful by the time I'd got home so I'm gonna park it up and have a proper investigation over the weekend.

Is the driveshaft best sourced through my toyota dealer? And am I gonna get raped?

It wont be the shaft itself it will be the C.V joint, most motor parts people will have them, be about £25-30 probably. Toyota charge about £500 a full shaft assembly haha

Have a good look around everything else anyway just to double check for anything else that it could be

I very doubt it is the driveshaft itself buddy its just an inanimate piece of metal so its more likely either 1 of the cv joints at either end or the wheel bearing.

What kind of movement are you getting from the driveshaft as there should be movement in it if u are moving it towards the box and wheel. But there should be none up and down.

If your not 100% sure u should ask someone more competant before u spend your money. And parts wise i would get them from someone breaking on here will be cheaper.

Edited by StuDoc 72

As you've probably guessed I'm no mechanic and I only had about 20 mins in half light to have a look at the car tonite. But a mate who does do work on vehicles said he thought it either sounded like it was either the driveshaft or I'd warped a disk heating up my brakes but I've not been thrashing the car so I plumped for the driveshaft. I need to get it up off the floor at the weekend and really have a nose, but is there anything that would be obvious from a visual point of view or is it literally extra play that will diagnose wether it is driveshaft/cv associated? Sorry for all the questions ill shut the fuck up after this one lol 😜

Not unless you can see a bolt sheered on somthing mate. I'd be surprised if it was your driveshaft or CV they are more noticeable at slow speeds turning tight corners.

Afraid its just a case of jacking it up and getting a good look and feel for play.

After all that and a good few hours fighting with my car and wiggling things that I couldn't really get hold of.....had the font end up wheels off, cleaned everything! Eliminated everything......and then "wait for it PaulStarltSr" gave the exhaust a wiggle farther back and found the rubber hanger thing missing and some nice fresh marks where the hangers had been twatting into each other!!!! Just goes to show, as suggested.....try the obvious stuff first, don't just panic!

Anyways....thanks for all the advice guys! And Paul.......you win!