making more power ob standard management?

hi all,

was chatting the other day with the old man and he cant see how the car can make more power as in an extra 40 or 50 brake with the standard management?

for intance mine has a hdi intercooler,zep decat, blitz nur spec, ctt9/ct12/ct20 hybrid, zisco mani w/ screamer,monster motorsport relocation, apexi cone filter,magnecor leads , and keirz says its been dynoed at 174bhp on standard management so how does the ecu know what mods are on it in order to make more power and safely?

The mods listed all allow the engine to breathe, take air in and let exhaust gasses out better and more free + easy.

yeah exactly , so how does the ecu know how much more fuel to add in order to keep it safe and make more power when your going over the factory top 0.65 bar?

it does if i go any higher than 0.85 or more bar of boost but if i wanted to keep it just under fuel cut at say 0.8 bar how does the ecu fuel it safely when it doesnt know much extra air its taking in ?

yeah exactly , so how does the ecu know how much more fuel to add in order to keep it safe and make more power when your going over the factory top 0.65 bar?

The stock ecu is able to accomodate upto 0.8 bar of boost pressure before its safety cut feature kicks in, aka fuel cut. Some systems use an ignition cut which is much safer for the engine. After this boost pressure you will need a fcd do combat and fool the stock ecu into thinking its boosting lower than it is. In conjunction with this a fpr also needs to be added as the stock ecu's fueling capabilites is past. A means of increasing fuel pressure increases the flow rate at the injectors, this isn't without its problems though as it outs more strain on the fuel pump, and the pump will actually be flowing a lower volume the higher the system pressure. The stock ecu is programmed to understand the signal from a map sensor and air temp sensor to calculate the mass of air entering the engine and its density. Other engines use a MAF sensor which can do both in the same component.

Increasing the engines volumetric efficiency, (air out ÷ air in)*100, increasing boost pressure, increase ignition advance all yield power gains.

Edited by AdamB

Depending on the volumetric efficiency, the efficiency of the turbo, then why not? Its a hybrid, plus exhaust system, air filter, fmic.

You'll probably find that even with just breathing mods it will be around 160bhp, providing the engine is healthy.

Check out the power leader board Socks made, go through peoples build threads and see what mods they have. Go compare :)

You would make more power on an aftermarket management system because power is made using ignition advance, you get little to no power from adjusting the AFR.

Edited by AdamB

boost is easily controlled due to the fact its externally gated. Turbo is a one off build made by me. If your dad wants the graphs he is more than welcome! Im not guessing with those figures and the fact a hell of a lot of people are doing the exact same thing and getting good dyno results show its working! Dont worry and enjoy it, then enjoy the extra bhp when its mapped!

BUT that's running some crazy hybrid at 0.8 bar, surely that's going to whack a lot more air in than a CT9? Is that just me being thick assuming that that's going to cause it to run uber lean even at a boost pressure the same as stock?

BUT that's running some crazy hybrid at 0.8 bar, surely that's going to whack a lot more air in than a CT9? Is that just me being thick assuming that that's going to cause it to run uber lean even at a boost pressure the same as stock?

As long as the map sensor is able to read the pressure, and is within the stock ecu's safety parameters, theres no problem :)

Ahaaaaa, I was just under the impression that the same boost pressure on a bigger turbo would throw in more air, therefore need more fuel so an adjustable FPR would be needed. If the standard ecu can handle it though fair enough, every days a school day!

A larger compressor trim will flow more air at the same boost pressure. But, a big but. The map sensor reads pressure, not mass air flow. Combine this with an air temp sensor and the ecu is able to calculate the mass air flow going into the engine. Since the mass air flow isn't directly calculated it can fuel it no probs. Although even changing setup it is still adviseable to have a check up on a wideband and det cans to ensure the engines is safe.