The SR Rat Project

I've owned my little SR for a while now, only really got it as i was looking for something cheap to run but not completely boring after i sold my beloved Hilux.

Started looking online for an SR because i'd always liked the look of them and after owning a Daihatsu Charade GTti years back i knew the Japanese had the rite idea with little gocart style hatchbacks and being used to Toyota build quality it seemed a logical choice!

Long story short is i found one all the way over in Weston Super Mare (im on The Isle of Wight) took a gamble payed a deposite for them to hold it for a week for me (it was being sold at a dealership as a part ex) and bowled down the following weekend and picked it up!

I knew it had covered 140,000 miles but i was pretty pleased with the condition of the car (and with ideas of a sleeper creeping into my head) i handed over the best part of £900 and headed for home!

DSCF2418_zpsf91d4ac2.jpg

The most evident thing while driving home was how shit the front seats were so after a chat with a mate i managed to get hold of some Imreza seats for £30 and we got them welded in one freezing evening!

DSCF2421_zpsca472157.jpg

DSCF2544_zpsc32d3032.jpg

As i mentioned i was half toying with the idea of building (with the help of a mechanic friend) a ratty looking sleeper with a Glanza lump chucked in so when these bad boys popped up on ebay i grabbed them! BIG ASS BRAKES!!!

DSCF2501_zps9d6faae5.jpg

DSCF2505_zps27b86703.jpg

The car is a daily so its pretty much just been getting me to work and back each day but im loving it and the plans have evolved a bit since the early days of ownership (some insurance nightmares and the electrical headfuck involved in a conversion prompted the hunt for a low miled 4efe) which im currently cleaning up while i try and source various other bits and find the odd hour to actually work on the car.........but more to follow!

DSCF2573_zps16c0914c.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers boys.....its a "Hotshots" manifold i got off snails ep91 its in need of a little clean up but apart from that its in a well sound condition!

You got it Amjad and no dont worry the "rat" name only really came about because of a few dodgy rust spots on the drivers door,wing and bonnet, oh and a hole in the boot. Wanted to concentrate on the handling mods as a priority so the body work will probs be the last thing that gets any money chucked at it....hence "SR Rat"!

Lots more to post....ill try and update over the next week! :thumbsup:

Just spent the last fucking hour doing this thread and my computer just shat itself and lost it all.........So fast tracking what i did because im lazy!

My wheels were fucked so better wheels......

DSCF2557_zps98dcc2ff.jpg

1 white one, 1 silver one and 2 green ones! The best one below is sitting in as my spare (when the others are sprayed up i'll pick the best of the OG's for a set of 5 good'uns!

DSCF2567_zpsd6be76e5.jpg

Next job was front quater indicator lenses (not made up on amber or clear) but for now im going clear!

Out with the old....

DSCF2561_zps7df26b46.jpg

and in with the new....

DSCF2562_zps95ff5cc0.jpg

The lenses match much better than they do in the photo!

Picked this mint Ultra Racing rear strut up off a breaking Glanza....

rearstrut_zps8076717e.jpg

Was gonna have to start cutting up the rear plastics to get it fitted so went a step further than i had planned and ripped the back seats out and stripped some of the plastics (bit noisy!) had to take the grinder to it a little to get a fit and rounded a nut.....so after cutting that off and replaced, it was in!

DSCF2565_zpse65432b0.jpg

After stripping out the back every little road noise and suspention clunk is magnified (kinda like it though!) but one morning on the drive to work i noticed a knocking noise faintly through the pedels, it got worse over the next few days and i shit myself convinced the drive shaft was fucked........long story short and red faced i have to admit it was the mid-section of my exhaust twating against its hanger (knobhead) but it gave me an excuse to get the front of the car up and have a good old sticky beak......

DSCF2575_zps7be25f2c.jpg

Same weekend as all this was going on i had arranged to meet snails ep91 over in Portsmouth (he drove from Kent or something, good man that he is!) to pick up an engine.......

DSCF2572_zps0228afd6.jpg

Exhaust system thats sort of a frankenstein of bits with a Glanza backbox in pretty bad condition but this was a bit of a just chucked in deal with the Hotshots manifold you can see on the engine! SUPER STOKED on finding one of these!!! i'll get a photo up, giving it a bit of a clean up but am considering heat wrapping it when it goes into the car......Any one know if it's worth doing? i'm gonna run a BMC CDA filter so want to keep the bay as cool as possible?

Also picked up an uprated exedy clutch and all for a good price but got stung on the ferry over from the Island £76 and was only over there for 3 friggin hours!

This was a bonus though, my rad was shot away and i managed to get this off ebay for next to nothing.......

DSCF2536_zps38a1f494.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok so a few up dates......

DSCF2618_zpsaa062929.jpg

Beaver teeth and Glanza bum on!

DSCF2628_zps92f8d5f3.jpg

DSCF2629_zps13f82fad.jpg

Been doing various little bits behind the scenes like getting the corrolla mani (that was poorly sprayed white) back to bare metal using a combination of Nitromores, wire whool, wet and dry....and swearing.

Kind of like it raw metal but its already starting to tarnish, so got to decide on a colour?

DSCF2672_zps98887a07.jpg

While i was trying to find a rear bumper someone would be willing to post down to the Island i had the blinding good fortune to meet a sound young nipper called Toby (TDog on here) who not only had a couple of ep's (one being a lovely white Glanza) he also lived on the Isle of Wight, worked for Toyota and...............had this in his shed!

DSCF2642_zpsa1a111fa.jpg

DSCF2643_zpsa97ee209.jpg

Custom straight through exhaust system.....needs a little bit of welding work to marry it up with the Hotshots manifold (+over due nuts and gaskets from Id-Workz)

Also in with the same order is a rep TTE splitter....so watch this space!

Managed to fit the C-Pillar bar without rear belts for now....but you get the gist

Door bars off for powdercoating white next week and hopfully a quote to refurb the speedlines!

DSCF2670_zpsa0f47499.jpg

I decided to keep the rocker nice and simple and because id spent so long getting it polished opted for a little splash of Kawasaki green!DSCF2646_zps4f4d805b.jpg

The god awful interior of my SR is (like most) in need of a little effort and plans involve the following:

Momo (optional extra?) steering wheel

Bride gear Gaitor

Trd/Buddy club gear knob

Trd carbon dial surround

(green) ignition light

Bride re-trim rear seats

Bride re-trim door cards

Long term would like a full darker Glanza interior and genuine Bride monsters......but for now these are the bits i've found

DSCF2616_zps644a9912.jpg

DSCF2675_zps6a4ccadf.jpg

DSCF2677_zpscbe8053a.jpg

I had an incident with an old woman who thought it would be a good idea to reverse off a roundabout without using her mirrors or turning her head. Had about 3 seconds to decide to go for the horn or try and reverse out of her way, long story short, i went for my horn (that i'd disconected earlier in the day while test fitting a cooling panel) and she hit me. Only doing about 5 miles an hour but i went into melt down......no damage but wasn't risking that happening again and bought these (cheers Socks!)

DSCF2682_zps6f4eba26.jpg

Wont be too long, just waiting on a delivery and a decent weekend!

Managed to get calipers rubbed down and painted up today

DSCF2685_zps3eca0357.jpg

DSCF2691_zps1313cf63.jpg

DSCF2690_zps87bfdc67.jpg

& after numerous attemps at getting the manifold back to bare metal i decided to blow over it in VHT black paint ready for heat wrapping at a later date!

DSCF2683_zpsd115f646.jpg

Bay so far with cooling panel from Idrees (when i got this off him it was painted up red so out came the nitromors and wire wool, still not 100% and it may well go black!)

DSCF2686_zps9bbc9806.jpg

Good news....the package from ID-Workz has arrived!

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/Joeflynns/media/DSCF2695_zpsf947b5a5.jpg.html'>DSCF2695_zpsf947b5a5.jpg

I expect you can guess from the shape what it is, ill get a photo when its test fitted over the weekend, chances are it will get colour matched but im toying with the idea of carbon wrap? (discounted that idea as i wrote it lol) or maybe, maybe white.....dunno that might look shit but i cant visualise it!

Few other bits arrived too......so should be on for getting the exhaust and manifold done at the weekend and if all goes well new rad/hoses!

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/Joeflynns/media/DSCF2698_zps1bfefc0e.jpg.html'>DSCF2698_zps1bfefc0e.jpg

Picked these up on Ebay, the Tegiwa one only cost me a fiver....result!

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/Joeflynns/media/DSCF2693_zps9f169b35.jpg.html'>DSCF2693_zps9f169b35.jpg

Nearly forgot one of my favourite bits of unecessaryness, but something i've wanted for as long as i've been aware of it (but never thought i'd find!) just means now i need to find the dial bit to match!

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/Joeflynns/media/4af674e7-c987-4a82-8674-8155ebc19d30_zpscfa54430.jpg.html'>4af674e7-c987-4a82-8674-8155ebc19d30_zps

Mc Chu motherfu*kers.......