rear brake / parking brake issue

Failed Mot today they said one of the calipers seems to have seized and both sides are showing Little or no effort.

Not sure if il need new pads but i have a set waiting to go om

Not sure if il need new calipers and discs either ):

Can calipers bw unsiezed and perform well again?

Anyone else had this issue or know what to do?

by the way car has been sat for a year

I've UN seized calipers before. They can be a pain to do, but makes a difference when they are done. You will need a seal kit. These are availiable from toyota, or one of the traders on here. Chances are that the auto adjuster inside the caliper may have failed. These can be tricky to put back together but not impossible. If your not confident or do not have a wide selection of tools I would not advise you to take on the task. Also check that your handbrake cables are free. They do seize up very easily.

Very common problem, seal kit fom id works or camskills about £56 for the pair, usually a case of remove the sliders giv them an clean up with scotch pad grease up and re-assemble but if youve got the time a full strip down would be better.

I've done this^^^ basic regrease 3 years running now, just brought 2 sets of calipers and a rebuild kit so going to make a nearly new set from them lol

I've found its usually the sliders that seize, so a quick clean up of them and a regrease usually works.

Problem is if the gaitor has split and let all the dirt and water in the chances are the slider has started to rust or corrode, so it will keep coming back!!

The other problem is the handbrake cable seizing.

Edited by morgey

Copper grease okay?

Yeah that should be fine, well thats wha i use and I've had to do mine 3 years running :lol:

Tbh I don't even know know what sliders look like haha

Haha well when you take them apart you will.

They're basically a bit of hollow tube with a groove at either end! Lol

The main problem I found is just the rust on the actual pad carrier. When they rust, overtime, the build up will compress the little metal slider clips which the pads sit in, when that happens the pad won't slide back. I took a dremel to mine and removed the rust, greased them up and that should stop them seizing.

A proper rebuild of the actual caliper is the next step, as above if the seals for the sliders have torn they may be seized too, a clean with some scotchbrite and then a grease up (grease is supplied with the toyota rebuild kits by the way) and they should be all good.

You can see one of the sliders in the right of this photoae;

IMG_0977_zps5fc31c81.jpg

The fact it has turned purple shows its seen some heat!

Edited by WallaceGlanza
  • 3 months later...

Just another point on the handbrake or parking brake..

I'm guessing its the same on the glanzas etc my on my mk 1 ep82 my rear callipers suffer with the arms on the back of the caliper that attack and reulate the handbrake working.. If you have a good handbrake cabel and adjust the handbrake from inside the car too hard when you pull the handbrake it pulls the arms round.. So you have no handbrake but with good cabels and fully working calipers!

Just another thing to check!

Tom.