Hi all,

So someone's suggested this may be my cam belt (due at 100k miles?), but thought I'd pop up here for some thoughts/advice.

Some basic information:

- EP91 Starlet, Naturally Aspirated, 4E-F3

- 94k miles

Okay folks, so I drive my Starlet fairly hard, and because of this I get it checked over fairly regularly and make sure fluids and such are always what they should be.

Recently I've noticed I'm starting to get a squealing from the engine in second (usually starts when I lift the clutch, but doesn't stop if I push it down again), particularly when just rolling, clutch controlling or at low revs. I'm also getting a belt-type noise on idle (could be all the time but I can't hear it except on idle), but neither of these things are happening all the time, and there doesn't seem to be much of a pattern. I seem to get these noises regardless of temperature, external or engine, or how hard I'm driving, though I tend to get it more when I'm being petrol conservative.

I would've considered clutch, but it seems to be fine in all other gears? Though in fairness I'm not a mechanic.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks,

SilvaD

check the power steering belt is tight and the bracket is tight

also check the alternator belt is tight. with the alternator ive found people to put any long bolt through the bottom bracket on the alternator and they are too thin leaving the alternator room to move and squeels. make sure the bolt is there as ive had one fall out on me to leaving it to squeel away

ryan

• 4 months later...

Hi mate, this is deff a crank pulley issue.

My theory.......

Yes like you i drive my car pretty hard. Always let it warm up first, oil changed by miles or by darkness, fluid levels all correct including when warm.

when i first had the car! sweet as a nut, and pratting about i was near 5.000rpm about to change into 5th, like a dick i thought i was in second.... (dont ask why)..... I thought i had a GTR doing 80 in second haha!

i missed shifted into 3rd, a horrible noise came as though a belt was slipping as the engine over rev'd its bolox off the clock, i dipped my clutch strait away and slowed down. drove normal.

Car was fine. she fired up fine and still pulled like a nippy starlet should!

however i noticed in the engine bay my crank pulley was wobbling slightly. for fact i knew it was from what i mentioned earlier.

now i still drive around with this slight wobbling. Im yet to fix this but when i do this sqeeling when pulling off should go.

Ill let you know if not!

chris