Anyone changed all bottom end bearings with crank in place?

Bit of an odd one, since moving house I haven't got any where to take my engine out and I want to change the bottom end bearings on the car.

I can change the big ends no problem with the sump off, but i also need to change the main bearings. Obviously the crank is still in attached to the gearbox, but i have heard its possible to remove the mains normally hidden by the crank if i loosen the caps and let is hang slightly, allowing room to carefully remove the bearings.

Anyone done this before?

Once you loosen all the main caps the crank is literally held in by nothing on the left and I would believe the gearbox would just be holding the right, the tabs stop the bearings from rotating in one direction, according to interweb you can lightly tap them out the other way, not 100% sure so wanted to check, bit of a fiddly job but taking the engine out isnt an option!

Ahh i see, well might be worth a go, guessing you don't need or aren't going to measure the crank, cant see you getting a micrometer in there?

My 4age has some funky stamp system that mean something to do with sizing of the crank and bearings? :s

It could work but as you said what about the garebox end? It probably won't drop with the box attached =\

I know the love hate feeling all to well oil seals went on the turbo a few months back then the bottom end went now have the bottom end done put it all back together and it won't turn over although it turned over without the box on =\

Good luck with it mate