Towing / Trailering your Starlet. Tow strap position?!

My Glanza's head gasket has gone, water full of oil, no oil in the engine.

I paid for a company to come and collect my car on the back of a flat bed and drive it back. Annoyingly, my car scraped getting on. I was too busy focusing on the front clearing that the rear lip cracked slightly from the cable / winch when hooked onto my tow strap, and the bumper was pulled off about 1cm on the left hand side! The exhaust scraped along the ground, and the front bumper then scraped across the ground too. Ended up having to winch it onto the rear ARB, which would have been impossible if buried on a gravel trap during a track day.

So, I cannot be the only person with clearance issues. Where have you mounted your tow straps/eyes to avoid damage to the car, or have I just got mine too low!?

Interesting, have you used it at all?

You can see the position of mine in this photo

Glanza_Rear_Tow.jpg

Under strain, the strap pushed upwards into the rear splitter and cracked. There was so much upwards force that it pulled the bumper down next to the wheel arch, although I'm hoping that's just a loose bolt that can be put back in

Edited by Arnold

unless pulled dead straight at the same level this will ruin your bumper to rob or is it just for visuals?

It has been towed back with the strap on the diagonal and its fine, I just un bolted the original tow hook then used the original mount hole for the strap. I tried pulling the strap at all dufferent angles the bumper flexes a little but nothing major. I've mounted the front to the front chassis arm to. The hardest part was marking where to make the cut outs.

IMG_5020.jpg

Interesting, have you used it at all?

You can see the position of mine in this photo

Glanza_Rear_Tow.jpg

Under strain, the strap pushed upwards into the rear splitter and cracked. There was so much upwards force that it pulled the bumper down next to the wheel arch, although I'm hoping that's just a loose bolt that can be put back in

Does yours mount to the original mount then go down and under the bumper and lip? Ill get some better pics on Sunday when I'm at the garage.

Edited by rob_bower

Does yours mount to the original mount then go down and under the bumper and lip? Ill get some better pics on Sunday when I'm at the garage.

Yep, so under load it tried to go straight through the lip and bumper! I'll definitely be moving it, or getting one of the larger tow eyes to sit at the bottom of the lip