Engine light query

Hey guys, I got a engine light come on the other day on my non Toyota, I got it checked out and they said its the catalytic converter not functioning. Now it's not running lean/rich and runs ok, it just says it not working correctly. I know that ain't a huge issue aslong as it ain't messing with the air fuel. I had it mot'd last week and everything emmision wise was spot on..

Any sorry of feedback would be great!

Edited by Danza V

I dont think the cat would put a engine light on

as removing the car entirely doesnt even put an engine light on

my friend fit a decat on his ep3 type r and the light came on bud

my friend fit a decat on his ep3 type r and the light came on bud

Yes, on a civic it will put the engine light on

This man doesnt own a civic, he owns a starlet

And they dont put the engine light on on a starlet.....

25179076.jpg

Yes, on a civic it will put the engine light on

This man doesnt own a civic, he owns a starlet

And they dont put the engine light on on a starlet.....

25179076.jpg

I got a engine light come on the other day on my non Toyota

Lol Epic reading fail there trisk lol.

The EML is basically a light that comes on if a car faults multiple times in a row it takes its reading from a lambda sensor.

I assume the starlets light does not come on because when we remove the cat we also remove the 2nd lambda sensor after the cat which would be for the EML.

Most likely if your cat is at fault then it will be 1 of 2 things. Either it has began to melt because your car runs slightly rich letting fuel escape onto the cat and burning it. Or if its a diesel it could be blocked by carbon.

The latter was a common fault on most VAG and Fiat diesels between 01 an 05 and required it to basically be ragged fuck out of in 3rd or 4th gear at 3500rpm for 20 min to clear it.

Most diagnostic machines will have this built in meaning you can plug them in and it will automatically rev the car through its programme clearing the blockage.

Lol Epic reading fail there trisk lol.

The EML is basically a light that comes on if a car faults multiple times in a row it takes its reading from a lambda sensor.

I assume the starlets light does not come on because when we remove the cat we also remove the 2nd lambda sensor after the cat which would be for the EML.

Most likely if your cat is at fault then it will be 1 of 2 things. Either it has began to melt because your car runs slightly rich letting fuel escape onto the cat and burning it. Or if its a diesel it could be blocked by carbon.

The latter was a common fault on most VAG and Fiat diesels between 01 an 05 and required it to basically be ragged fuck out of in 3rd or 4th gear at 3500rpm for 20 min to clear it.

Most diagnostic machines will have this built in meaning you can plug them in and it will automatically rev the car through its programme clearing the blockage.

I may just try ragging it lol as it was fine when I got the ole gal, also its just been " poodled " about so that can't help it that much in the long run either with regards to clogging and that.

No petrol, but I'm not entitled sure that it has been looked after, as the previous owner left a few pipes venting to air, which made it rub a tad lean, so yeah I think it's had an imbalance or mixture somewhere.

All the code says is car not working , so I'm not sure how to cure a petrol car.. Other than replacing the whole cat, which I don't really wana do lol. I have had a thought come into my had that if it had ran lean, it's overfueled and just cooked the cat..

All sensors are good and all pipes were replaced..

If i did run lean it could melt the cat yeah, and thered be nothing there to convert the gasses. Bit odd how it just passed emissions test though.

A car will normally run rich when the EML light comes on though, just as a sorta safety device.

Did the garage clear the fault code and did the EML light come back on ?