Hi All,

Bit of a random one this:

When the weather is cold, clutch bites and engages like a savage beast....

When the weather is warm/hot the clutch slips as soon as it hits boost... Especially after using it a lot in traffic.

It literally is one extreme to the other.

Due to it still engaging propely when its cold, I would like to assume that the actual clutch itself is still ok...

Possibly be down to the properties of the hydraulic fluid changing with temperature?

Has anyone experienced this?

Cheers!

Dan

Clutch slips easier when it's hot, it's the same effect as when your brakes get very hot and you lose the braking power. So change your clutch and problem will be solved. :-)

If the fluid would be the problem, it should be hard to get gears in and/or the clutch wouldn't disengage properly.

Edited by JayJ

Mmmmmm.... I suppose I had better look into clutches then...

Not a clue what power the car is, which doesn't help when knowing what clutch to go for,

Mods as follows:

CT9 Hybrid Turbo
Front Mount Intercooler
AFPR
HKS EVC
HKS FCD

HKS Adjustable Actuator

Apex'i Dump Valve
Apex'i Power Intake Induction Kit
Rams Horn style Manifold
Custom 2.5" Stainless Cat-back

With that in mind, some sort of uprated clutch will be needed I guess.

A standard clutch would be fine what boost your running? Chances are you are about 200bhp at most.

Maybe a stage 1 just to be on the safe side.

I notice this with my clutch aswell but its defo not needing replaced. Its no where near as bad as how you make yours out though. Just notice its slightly more distinct when cold.

I reckon mine is down to the slave or master being very old going to try the slave in near future.

The master and slave can appear fine mine does but its 17 years old now so you can garuntee they will be worn.

A slave is only 20quid on the bay. Maybe worth trying tht plus giving the peddle a little adjust to see what happens.

Best off with DOT5 as it doesnt absorb water but it literally makes no difference buddy just stick the cheapest stuff in.

Like anti freeze or screen wash it will make no difference to the performance.

Edited by StuDoc 72

Best off with DOT5 as it doesnt absorb water but it literally makes no difference buddy just stick the cheapest stuff in.

Like anti freeze or screen wash it will make no difference to the performance.

If you are going to use dot 5, remember to clean the whole system, because you can't mix it with any other dot fluid(3, 4, 5.1)

I just popped into my usual garage, asked him to have a look...

He said that there was no 'free play' in the peddle at all, so even when the clutch was at the top of its travel, it was possible that the clutch was still a little disengaged, if that makes sense.

The clutch used to bite right at the top...

5 minutes later after him messing him the peddle, it now bites really low down. Just been in heavy traffic and warm temps, when I reached the open road there was no slip! :)

So I am hoping that is all that will be needed!

Thought as much was same for me.

He was shortening the rod on the master which is adjustable behind the pedal.

Basically the longer it is the less you need to touch the pedal to disengage the clutch.

Good you had it sorted. Better to keep on eye the biting point as the nut on the adjusting rod might get loose in time and the rod can get shorter then.

Cheers chaps!

Yeh I was pleased it was something so simple, he also said there is still a little more room for adjustment if required.

I have only driven it a couple of times since, so its hard to tell if it has worked properly, but given the conditions, so far so good! (As I would be gaurenteed slippage at the moment).