Handling Discusion - Which Ones Best?

I am sitting in bed with this laptop and i am thinking about coilovers. I have lowering springs on order they cost me roughly £150. After a few months the shocks will be buggered so that will cost me £200.

It will cost me £70 to get my springs fitted in the first place, then more than £70 to get my shocks replaced. Lets just say £100. So there we have £150, £200, £70, £100. Thats a total of £520. I think i will be better with a set of D2 Coilovers?

Can someone explain what coilovers do, the benefits of them, and will they lower my car? Also what is the ride quality like on coilovers?

Yes!

I had shocks n springs before.

They improved the height, and handling, they are usually very bumpy but some can be adjusted to an extent.

Just research them, D2's would be perfect.

in short they make it all bumpy and fun lol

I read on another forum it can be more comfortable to get Koni adjustable shocks and lowering springs? Damn its hard making decisions! I dont mind buying new shocks for my car but how long will new shocks last on 40mm lowering springs? I would buy these shocks below if i were to get new shocks so how long would these last with the lowering springs?

KYB Shock Absorbers/pair

£73.00 - £143.00 exc carriage (2-3 Days)

th_KYBshocks.jpg

Enlarge

Application:

EP82 front all models - £143.00

EP91 front all models - £143.00

EP82 rear (post 92) - £73.00

EP91 rear all models - £73.00

Description: Slight upgrade over oem shock absorbers, KYB (Kyaba) actually make Toyota shocks as well as many others. Supplied in pair's as complete kits wilth all anciallries to run. Not available for pre 92 EP82 GT. Cost effective replacement shock absorbers.

I've just bought a set of those dampers, they are KYB Excel G Gas shocks and i'll be running them with Tein springs, although they are a slight upgrade over stock from what i've read they aren't that great. but i'm hoping paired with tein springs there will be a noticeable handling improvement...plus my front left shock is leaking oil so needs replacing anyhoo!

what are you after?

handling or looks man,

since you spend most of your time on the road and not on track go for the whiteline or rs*r springs with koni yellow adjustable shocks.

whiteline designed their springs around these shocks so they make a good match for everyday driving and if you pic the rs*rs the springrates are closer to standard but the car is lower

if you want to slam the car into the weeds or want more adjustability get coilovers.

what are you after?

handling or looks man,

since you spend most of your time on the road and not on track go for the whiteline or rs*r springs with koni yellow adjustable shocks.

whiteline designed their springs around these shocks so they make a good match for everyday driving and if you pic the rs*rs the springrates are closer to standard but the car is lower

if you want to slam the car into the weeds or want more adjustability get coilovers.

Cheers enzo, i think i will just get the koni's then as i wont ever be doing track days. It's decided montanajr what u for doing then?

Good choice on the Koni Adjustables Marc.

They are an ideal fast road/street setup and have the ability to adjust damping levels.

A few people I know have used or are either using the koni setup. Larger and more expensive cars use Konis too.

However they are not height adjustable. For the same money you can get coilovers that would allow you all the adjustability you want and arguably better handling than the konis. This is at the tradeoff of some ride comfort, however I would recommend the new version D2s that are much more suited for UK roads as they now have increased dampening levels by 20% and when setup right will be quite passable in terms of comfort and the handling would be much more aggresive and have more potential than any shock/spring setup imo.

What you would be getting is very good value for money plus you have all the adjustability which would include pillow ball mounts, adjustable camber, ride height adjustability and as said various levels of dampening to suit you. The only adjustability Konis would have are the dampening levels, nothing else, however they would be less harsh.

Im current running Tanabe coilovers in my 5efe converted UKep91. i have to say they are very harsh and not good on bad roads, but once you get out into the open they come into their own. Look at the shocks/springs/coilovers as the base or backbone of your suspension setup mate, a lot of people are misconceived by thinking that the handling gains will be huge just by adding these or just lowering springs.

Its your overall setup that counts if you are really after something optimal for your eps handling as it is one of the best areas to exploit.

The majority of JDM or used coilovers are made and intended for Japanese roads and tight circuits where the track surface is even and smooth.

Also the Konis are not a straight switch for your old shocks, there is a little work needed to fit them to the chassis inserts, I cant remember fully but Sicaln or someone can confirm. It wont be a prob as they will go in but not a straight wax on/wax off affair. You need to get your moneys worth basically Marc :unsure:

Hope this helps coming from a different perspective.

Joz

I have the old versions of D2's lad, There well harsh, but more than worth it when you take her out on the twisties...

I'd highly recommend them, and the newer versions are now even softer... :unsure:

If you want adjustable camber / castor etc you could allways purchase a set of pillowball topmounts and uprated dampers / springs.

You dont need coilys to get the adjustability of camber etc.

I was running TRD dampers and springs, then upgraded to cusco coil overs and pillowballs.Id never turn back.

Bumpy on shite roads, but immense on trackdays.

Like Joz said, all depends what you want the car aimed at.. Everyday drivability or trackslagging fun

I am sitting in bed with this laptop and i am thinking about coilovers. I have lowering springs on order they cost me roughly £150. After a few months the shocks will be buggered so that will cost me £200.

It will cost me £70 to get my springs fitted in the first place, then more than £70 to get my shocks replaced. Lets just say £100. So there we have £150, £200, £70, £100. Thats a total of £520. I think i will be better with a set of D2 Coilovers?

Can someone explain what coilovers do, the benefits of them, and will they lower my car? Also what is the ride quality like on coilovers?

Surely you've got better things to think about in bed :)

As for coilovers, i'd go for it mate, depending on the road's you drive on and how you drive, but they should be a lot better.