As some of you may know I'm currently building up an engine to put back in mine after the last one turned to liquid.

Just wondered if people had used Hastings piston rings? Theyre roughly half the price of toyota rings. Thoughts? Do it? Don't do it? Reasons? I've spoken to a reputable machining company and they said Hastings rings were good quality and didn't seem to have a higher fail rate than oem ones. But I don't want to have to pull the engine apart a month (or even a year) after putting it in :/ So far all parts I have are brand spanking toyota parts barring acl bearings.

Any help/advice appreciated :)

id do some research on feed back of other engines with their rings tbh as I've not heard of em myself n for the sake of maybe spending more money id want more info on them if it was my build. like you say you dont want to regret it in a month or two :

Edited by shorty

id do some research on feed back of other engines with their rings tbh as I've not hears of em n for the sake of maybe spending more money id want more info on them if it was my build. like you say you dont want to regret it in a month or two :(

Yeah that's why I've popped this thread up, hoping for some feedback from people who've maybe used them on here. The machining company I'm taking the crank etc to spoke very highly of them but couldn't say how they are in one of our engines. I'm not rushing to order them so ill see if anyone can give an insight hopefully. At the end of the day I would like to pay the cheaper price but I don't want to compromise.

Might see if I can get 74.5mm from them as wiseco aren't replying about replacements for my forged pistons

Send john a ECC on TGTT he normally has them in stock I got mine from them top service BUT can be a bit slow on pm's so you could phone them.

As for the hasting rings we have used them in many engines over the years V8s and all sorts and have always been spot on but not in a starbo yet!

Not had a problem with Hastings rings although not used them in a starlet. Is the engine standard or forged? We will have rings in stock either way. Whats way more important than the rings is the quality of the machine work/bores and the ring gaps.

Regards

Ricky

Not had a problem with Hastings rings although not used them in a starlet. Is the engine standard or forged? We will have rings in stock either way. Whats way more important than the rings is the quality of the machine work/bores and the ring gaps.

Regards

Ricky

Thanks rob :)

It's most likely to be a standard build Ricky, if I had the time I would've saved up for forged internals but Sam will want his engine back sooner or later and I'm still skint from paying for the remap in the first place :/

The bores will be honed etc using a flex hone (not the stone things). Crank is to be polished etc and everything had been flushed thoroughly. Only had the head skimmed a few months back and it's been checked on an engineers block and its perfect. New oil pump water pump etc. I'm debating using a 5e bottom end though as we have one sat at the unit but maybe no point without going forged :/