Increasing Bore Size

As some of you may know, my engine needs to come out again, while I'm doing this, I want to increase the bore size.

Question time

1) Has anyone done this before?

2) What is a safe increase in mm?

3) What pistons were used?

4) Any further cooling upgrades required?

Thanks in advance

Edited by chrisgreen1993

You can increase the bore size but you'll need to use oversized pistons. Ie forged pistons as Jamie said.

There is a limit on how much you can hone the stock cylinders before a rebore to oversized pistons is needed but don't have it to hand atm.

You won't need any cooling upgrades, but proper maintenence of the cooling system is paramount.

Edit:

The largest bore size you can go to without having to rebore to suit oversize is 74.030mm.

The largest OEM piston size is 73.93mm.

Edited by AdamB

When i say oversize i mean 81mm stock an 81.5mm oversize. Like after a rebore piston. Do they not do this for 4efe's?

Not OEM Toyota mate.

Think them pistons are pretty cheap but, but I not sure I would trust them.

I personally wouldn't opt to use that size piston. It wouldn't take much to buckle between the cylinders. Unless you spent a bit of money and ran a closed deck block to strengthen it.

I think the point is why do you want to increase the bore size, is it because your bores are damaged already so you have to have a rebore to clean them up, or are you doing it just for a performance point of view?

Only wanted to check as the HP difference will be virtually nothing if your bore the block out to its limit and put oversize pistons in, the actual displacement increase is so small your barely adding anything. Unless your engine needs its because its scored, i would save your money and just put the same size pistons back in, use your money on other areas will be much easier/cheaper to get more performance :) i.e a good tune/map :).

Someone did work it out before on TGTT, i think going to 75mm adds like 30cc or something with dished pistons lol its not much!

Edited by Taggy

I haven't checked if the block needs re-bored, by the looks of things there isn't much point getting it rebored.

I'll just re-hone the bores when doing the rings and spend the money else where.

Thanks again for the input guys.